VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to set the record straight i am not a mechanic but i do an have a passion for cars/bikes any vehicles really & always enjoyed carying out maintanance/mechanicls and just genaraly looking after our vehicles anyway having carried out some work on our long standing T5 I figured it would be a good idea to replace the A/C condenser given that a few of the rows cooling fins had rotted away so looked for a replacment, OEM part was around £400, a well known car parts supplier had a Mahle OEM spec for half that price so before ordering i had a look on Ebay and found a Mahle for half price agian so ordered it.
Just landed today well packaged and a day ahead of schedule, i removed it and noticed it was curved (slightly) and offering it up into place i noticed yes it would fit but with manipulation which i didnt fancy doing on a new unit. I decided to send it back but the seller contacted me stressing in his words "that the condenser is made of soft metal and its manufactured curved & all Mahles come like it and will straigten out under heat and pressure!
I am a engineer by trade and although this comment seems a little far fetched soft metal etc it may well be true as to be fair i think this is the first condenser i think i have replaced so im asking the mechanics and other folk who have done it before does this sound right?

·
Registered
15,437 Posts
If its curved surely it wont sit sandwiched between the radiator and intercooler without fowling?
Who is degassing and regassing it all for you? This normally limits how many people wanna diy this kinda job .

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the late reply guys, purchased it on Ebay i really should have known better anyway I have since ordered a MAHLE unit from Euro Car Spares which looks perfect but not fitted it yet. I sent pictures of both to the supplier of the first who of course had no where to go and has sent me a returns label for return/refund, i'm convinced its a Chinese copy :cautious:. My mate who owns a garage de gassed it for me just so i could remove it for access, we had noticed over the last two or three years that the ice coolness of the A/C had dropped off I was hoping that when i replaced the elastic coupling/drive that i would find the compressor coupling worn but no it was very good anyway read somwhere that the condensing of the refridgerent can drop off by up to 5% if just one row of cooling fins are missing and that was my reasoning for replacing my origanal condenser as mine has 4 rows where the fins have just about all rotted away.
Hope my explanation makes sense

·
Registered
12 Posts
we had noticed over the last two or three years that the ice coolness of the A/C had dropped off
Monster, will you do me a favour please and come back and update us when you've replaced the condensor and tell us if replacing it made any difference? I'd be really interested to know as my Climatronic system on my '07 Caravelle is really disappointing, I've had the system re-gassed and the clutch/coupling is good, I have access to VCDS and nothing is coming up, I really can't think what it might be so your suggestion of condensor is intriguing.

My understanding of general AC systems is that aside from re-gassing, the receiver-drier should be replaced according to manufacturers schedule or whenever the system is opened, not many people do this as part of a schedule and I've not done mine in the two years I've owned it, I'm going to look at the condition of my condensor and will replace the receiver-drier next time I get it re-gassed. some vehicles have a separate receiver-drier but looking at the parts EPC diagram, the receiver-drier is replaceable cartridge internal to the condensor, I assume your new condensor came with a new one?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes Pockets i will update, the weather being pretty poor at the moment has meant that i haven't even fitted the new condenser not to mention my Mrs wanting the lounge decorating anyway hoping to get back to it next week. The drier does indeed come new with the condenser i will take a picture and post it up of the old unit and remove the drier to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes Pockets i will update, the weather being pretty poor at the moment has meant that i haven't even fitted the new condenser not to mention my Mrs wanting the lounge decorating anyway hoping to get back to it next week. The drier does indeed come new with the condenser i will take a picture and post it up of the old unit and remove the drier to see what it looks like.
Any update Monster?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funnily enough I ended up with a bent Mahle condensor from an Ebay seller. I complained and he offered me £30 off the price. I said I wasn't interested and wanted a refund but then when he sent me a message upping the offer to £40 he somehow managed to refund me the whole lot by mistake.

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apologies i havn't had the air con recharged yet as i went straight onto the next jobs which were full suspension front and rear rebiulds which should have took place over the winter but it took a whole lot longer with life etc, the vans is back on the road however i have a ABS issue which i think is rear wheel bearing/sensor but havn't had the time to spend on it yet.
MOT is due in a month or so so i will need to press on and thats where the air con will also get recharged, i will take it earlier as soon as i sort the ABS lights out.... i will let you know if A/C is improved.

Cubegame Its not a bent Mahle its a bent Mahle sh*t copy that Ebay is full of, good news about your full refund, earlier this year while replacing wheel bearing etc i bought Mahle from the aformentioned and out of curiosity slipped in a GKN genuine CV joint and the play in the splines was hiddiouse so all stuff i bought got sent back and i used TPS genuine parts and *** wheel bearings from Euro.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts