VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My air box has a crack in it and I'm finidng it difficult to locate an a reolacement (Does anyone have one lurking in their garage?)
Anyway I got to wondering if I could put an alternative on? I'm thinking something like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150501784992&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160469306449&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

obviously a huge difference in price and also my van runs on LPG I wonder if it would adversly affect it? :*

:ILU:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
#1 - Snake Oil! Calculate how much cfm of air your engine consumes then compare that to 'supercharger/hair dryer' its probably more of a hindrance TBH. Wonder why VAG have not adopted them ?

#2 - 'K+N style' ? similar in what way ? its like a K+N in looks but thats where it ends ? To how many microns does it filter to ?

Find a replacement air box off the bay of fleas and keep it OE. Air filters have been done a million times over.

Read ALL of this if you get bored(including links at bottom)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Repair your crack *s* with gaffa tape/sikaflx etc until you find a new one.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think you'll find there are just 2 air filter assemblies - pre 96 and post 96, which are common to both petrol and diesel models, so I expect a call to a breakers would find you a secondhand one.

Aftermarket filters should work, but if your LPG is a venturi setup, rather than individual injectors, it may need adjusting after fitting the new filter. Free flowing filters will mean there's less vacuum created in the inlet, so less demand on the gas regulator meaning less enough gas going in.

·
Registered
641 Posts
#1, Is an absolute farce, a 60w electric fan is going to increase power output !!!.. more likely to break up and get ingested into your engine. feedback claims of extra power are most likely based on the induction roar with inferior filter by boy racers.
I offered to fit one to several motors and give dyno results, he wouldnt take me up on it. I:

#2 As has been said a filter that may not work to well.

Look out for a second hand replacement or have a go at repairing yours maybe. Which side of the filter is the crack ?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I have an air box from a 98. I think it is still in one peice but I will check in the morning.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
#1 - Snake Oil! Calculate how much cfm of air your engine consumes then compare that to 'supercharger/hair dryer' its probably more of a hindrance TBH. Wonder why VAG have not adopted them ?

#2 - 'K+N style' ? similar in what way ? its like a K+N in looks but thats where it ends ? To how many microns does it filter to ?
Most of that went over my head. However your point is taken

Find a replacement air box off the bay of fleas and keep it OE. Air filters have been done a million times over.

Read ALL of this if you get bored(including links at bottom)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

I did read it HONEST...ok well I did read the last sentence, and that summed it up for me!A:

Repair your crack *s* with gaffa tape/sikaflx etc until you find a new one.
Yes I've kept all the bits and have my gaffer tape and cable ties at the ready!I:[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Cheers for your reply :ILU:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you'll find there are just 2 air filter assemblies - pre 96 and post 96, which are common to both petrol and diesel models, so I expect a call to a breakers would find you a secondhand one.

Aftermarket filters should work, but if your LPG is a venturi setup, rather than individual injectors, it may need adjusting after fitting the new filter. Free flowing filters will mean there's less vacuum created in the inlet, so less demand on the gas regulator meaning less enough gas going in.
drawn a blank at the scrappies so far. I agree with keeping it standard though, and to be fair I have been more than happy with everything as it is so far. Your comment re LPG seems fair and echoes my thoughts / concerns A::ILU:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Better pic of the pre- 96

Check it out on eBay!
This is like the replacement one I've already bought and the mechanic tried to fit. but apparently for a petrol there should be two inlet pipes behind the headlight and another on the right hand side. The central circular box is the same. My mechanic tried to pinch parts from the two to make one good one but couldn't do it due to where the damage is on mine. He's put the old one back on using the good 'ol duck tape and cable ties!:bhd At least I'm mobile but Betty is not running too well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
K+N Filtercharger on mine and you can definitely notice the difference. turbo whistles really nicely too now. K+N been on there approx 20K miles - no issues. Easy to fit too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts