VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a k Reg T4 LWB camper. It has the original 2.4 engine but with the Tdi cover/manifold on (are these the right terms?) and an after market turbo. The air hoses need replacing as botched and I’m getting some black smoke as a result from exhaust (guessing due to diesel not burning off from wrong air mix). I have attached photos. I don’t know which silicone hose kit will work for me. Any recommendations, links and advice, as slowly teaching myself and don’t have deep knowledge as you can probably tell. I have light white smoke on startup and then some black when accelerating etc. Thanks in advance for help…

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
I am just about to turbo charge my 2.4d (AAB) using parts off the ACV engine which looks like the same conversion your has. I am looking for a intake pipe off an ACV at the minute to make up the same connections you are trying to replace which I think will fit straight in ( think being the operative word here)

There is a lot of info in the Turbo AAB thread, in the technical section at the top of this page which might help although I think most people have just used silicone hoses and elbows from Ebay.

Perhaps others who have done the conversion can help??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wolf1608 I will have a look… I got the following piece with the van but can’t get it to fit round the corner if you will (see pic of part). I’m guessing it’s because the layout will be slightly different than the original with it being a conversion, however, I may be talking nonsense or I’m not doing it right?! Do I just replace the intake hose or so I need it replace anything else. What silicone pipes would you use regards to size etc?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
that intake pipe you have pictured just above looks like the ACV intake pipe and what I was thinking of getting hold of. Which corner doesn't it go around? directly below the brake fluid reservoir or where it joint the air filter unit? is yours a cylinder type filter or a flat panel type?

as for silicone hoses, turbo inlet connection seems to be 51mm diameter and the air filter connection (if its a cylinder type) is 71mm so a reducer will be needed somewhere in there along with a T piece to bring in the rocker cover breather unless your going to go for a catch can instead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks so much for the input… mine is the cylinder filter. Round the corner under the brake fluid reservoir and where the dipstick sits- I would have to leave the dipstick detached from the bolt which I’m guessing doesn’t do anything. Or, maybe I just need to add some new longer silicone pipe to the plastic section instead of existing? What do you think? I’ve heard the plastic does expand and crack though. Also- where the joint is for the rocker cover valve, what is the tiny outlet sticking off it as there is nothing on mine that corresponds with that or is it just an outlet you leave open? Cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think a short section of silicone hose would be best. As for small inlet where the rocker breather joins, on the ACV engines its part of the egr system. You can block that off in your installation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the link.

Yes, I would replace the one from the turbo to the inlet. Looks like a hole might have been patched up which could be loosing you boost pressure and causing the black smoke.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great- I’m think I’mgoing to go silicone hoses probably as it is an awkward fit for the original acv inlet plastic fitting…. I got my current hoses to sit much better last night and removed the tape whilst I wait and that seems much better smoke wise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts