VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if anyone had tried the Air-Lift suspension kits on a lowered T4. They are basically an inflatable bag inside the spring. I know they have been around for years so I guess they must sell. I use my van empty much of the time but loaded up on a regular basis. As it's dropped by about 75mm the idea of driving on air rather than bumpstops appeals.:ILU:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
hi .. i think Ive seen those kits on fleabay for around 90 squid .. I'm not 100% convinced they will work myself .. you would be better trying to find a set off an ex AA van .. I'm sure most AA vans have a quality airbag system fitted on back end to help with towing / heavy loads ect..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Alright guys,
I'm looking at it from the other POV. I've just bought an AA van with MAD Air-Lift fitted. Can it be lowered without first removing this adjustable suspension-boosting addition?
I know loads of members have started with AA vehicles so this problem must have been encountered by many!
Cheers, GEO

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've just bought an AA van with MAD Air-Lift fitted. Can it be lowered without first removing this adjustable suspension-boosting addition?
My ex AA's lowered with the T4SRus -85mm kit, 5mm thick rubber spring seats and Mad Air lift kit left in. ( empty except a double rear seat )
I haven't had any problems yet!

I'm guessing mine sits at about -65mm to -70mm lowered, as the rear suspension is lifted roughly 15mm to 20mm when you fill the Mad kit with 1 Bar air pressure, as per Mads instruction for no load to stop the bags chaffing or clunking.

It's the perfect combination for me, as I can cruise about looking lowered when unladen, and if and when I put a bit of weight in or tow, put more pressure in the system and adjust the rear height up a bit to compensate.

Ideal!A:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't think the kits that are fitted inside the rear springs would last long on our vans, because the rear bump stops are inside the spring.
There's not much of a gap between the bump stop rubber and suspension wishbone, even at standard height. I think this would eventually wear through or puncture the air bags.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Brilliant, thanks Airhead! To think that you could have both adjustable suspension and lowered suspension seemed too good to be true... but apparently not. I will get stuck in to mine and let you know what happens... Best regards GEO

·
Registered
96 Posts
How easy are these air lift kits to fit??
Mine is still at standard height due to towing and driving in fields etc, but if these systems allow for adjustable height then they must be the answer.
Are they costly to buy, and what about the compressor. is it fitted to the engine, or is it electric or something??
Your help and advise would be most welcome.
Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
72 Posts
They are fitted routinely to AA vehicles. My service manual contained fitting instructions which you could also obtain from the website.
http://www.mad-suspension.co.uk/interactive.htm
I think the effect they give is of increased stiffness as opposed to height although we could ask Airhead if, when the system is pressurised to its max 5bar, his lowered suspension actually lifts a bit?
I think you can get an on-board compressor, but it would be strictly for showboating! My ex-AA van has two little filler valves (schrader valves) by the tow hitch which are used to pump up each side! Let us know how you get on. Regards GEO

·
Banned
344 Posts
Has anyone here fitted air-ride suspension such as a rayvern kit? I realise it's an expensive option but it would be a good compromise for a van. The AA kits only operate the rear as well which is no good if you want to be driving down a dodgy road full of pot holes :eek:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Has anyone here fitted air-ride suspension such as a rayvern kit? I realise it's an expensive option but it would be a good compromise for a van. The AA kits only operate the rear as well which is no good if you want to be driving down a dodgy road full of pot holes :eek:
You would struggle to put a full air ride kit on due to the front being torsion bar! what about hydraulics? i used to run bugs etc on hydraulics, with actuators in the system they rode well... now I know ive seen one T4 on juice so it can be done

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've just removed my air lift system when I was lowering the van. I was never going to use it and it seemed better to have the suspension as standard and get the full effects out of the KW springs & shocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts