VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm sure a lot of you already know about Air Lift's Load Support products for the T4, but for those who don't, here's a bit of info:

These fit into your existing rear coil springs and act as a helper spring. The idea is to improve handling and prevent bottoming out - useful for towing, camper conversions, that kind of thing. The kits come with a lifetime limited warranty.
See here for details:
http://www.air-lift.co.uk/product.php?unique_id=451

We're working on a full adjustable system currently which should incorporate the front as well, so if you're looking for complete height adjustment you might want to keep an eye on this thread. But if you're just looking to smooth out the bumps the load support kit should do the trick.

We're offering forum members a 5% discount on all orders. Just use discount code 5VWT4CD in the cart, and put your forum username in the memo/notes section at the checkout.

Likewise if you're ordering by email/phone make sure to ask for the discount!

www.air-lift.co.uk
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 0208 133 3346

·
Registered
354 Posts
guys i have this system on the rear of my t4 and can vouch for the quality of it! it takes the rolling sensation out of the drive when loaded,especially on campers because the carry weight all the time then when going away obviously they are loaded even more. i fitted mine by drilling downwards through the lower wishbone to feed the air supply pipe in rather than fitting the way the instructions showed,i found my way was better but hey thats my opinion. Anyway great product at a great price

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind words Lee. Interesting way to fit them, can't see anything wrong with doing it like that as long as the holes are smooth. Could be a good tip for those with lowered T4's where the coils are a bit too tight for the air lines T:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick heads up, there's a bit of a review/how-to for the T4 load support kit in this month's Ultra VW mag, well worth a read if you're thinking about it :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Fitted my rear air-lift bags at the weekend thought i'd wait a couple of miles before giving a review.

BEST £100 I HAVE SPENT!!

Seriously van seems to handle soo much better on tight corners at speed and has made a hell of a difference to ride comfort when I'm fully laden. I cant raise the back by a good inch and a half when its full. Cracking bit of kit. Cant wait to pick up my new trailer now. Will let you know if it affects the fuel economy when i drive back to the UK at the end of the month as i won't be dragging the vans ass along the road when its full. Should be positive.

Thanks John, cracking customer service :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of it depends on the type of spring (distance between coils is a big factor). Officially they're designed for standard height vans but should fit inside Eibachs for instance without modification.

What a lot of people tend to do is to remove the rubber bump stop and trim the spring locator a little bit, drill a hole in the lower spring locator then fit the bag vertically with the air line running through the trailing arm. It's more work doing it that way and you'd probably want a protector to cover the edges on the upper locator, but it's probably the best way to do it with lowering springs so that the air lines don't get pinched between the coils.

Glad you're happy with them Jonah T:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for the feedback T:

60mm springs should be fine then with this method, they ride very well in a basic caravelle but once you get a couple of large passengers on board it's a different kettle of fish! I'll be giving these a go :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pressures vary from one to van to another depending on how much weight's in there, the bags can go up to 25PSI, I think 10-15PSI is about there for a standard T4, but on a full on motorhome you may well be nearer the 20-25PSI mark. It's mostly a case of trial and error, I'd start out with 10PSI and go from there.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi Jonathan, been trying to get hold of you regards a full air setup on mt lwb T4, Is there a best time to try and phone as haven't had any luck the last few days? Did pop an email across as well. Heard your very busy at the moment T:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Jonathan, been trying to get hold of you regards a full air setup on mt lwb T4, Is there a best time to try and phone as haven't had any luck the last few days? Did pop an email across as well. Heard your very busy at the moment T:
Ah I'm very sorry about that. You've got it, we're just flat out at the moment now that show season is upon us. We're not great with phones at the moment as the machines are running all day and invariably as soon as I leave one alone to do it's thing something goes bang :D Email's quickest generally and orders are all running as normal, I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I've used Airlift bags on previous vehicles - I used to import them from the States for Mazda Bongos years back so I know how rugged they are.

I tried to phone you folks today but seems to be busy there - I'm concerned that the bumpstop would be in constant contact with the bag and wonder if there's a chance that it could be damaged by this?

The springs are fairly new Meyle HD units for the chassis cab and new OEM dampers. The weight is pretty much constant between 2800 and 3000 Kg. but I carry bikes on the rear and occasionally get the mudflaps bottoming out on corners.

TIA, Alan

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your reply. I've used Airlift bags on previous vehicles - I used to import them from the States for Mazda Bongos years back so I know how rugged they are.

I tried to phone you folks today but seems to be busy there - I'm concerned that the bumpstop would be in constant contact with the bag and wonder if there's a chance that it could be damaged by this?

The springs are fairly new Meyle HD units for the chassis cab and new OEM dampers. The weight is pretty much constant between 2800 and 3000 Kg. but I carry bikes on the rear and occasionally get the mudflaps bottoming out on corners.

TIA, Alan
Ah yes the Bongo kits are our second most popular kit next to the T4/5 kit. The bump stop would be in constant contact but that's how they're designed on this one, it does tend to look quite odd because it is a bit of a point load on the seam but it's very rare for them to go wrong when used properly. I think in over 10 years the only damaged bags we've seen are ones where they've been fitted with lowering springs, but there are workarounds for that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Full marks for Airlift UK for their delivery service but less marks for telephone inquiries - not even a reply to a left message :*

I'd appreciate your thoughts on these photos of the Airlift 1000 fitted to my T4 Autosleeper coachbuilt. The bags are at 15 psi and the bags are just lifting the ride height. The van runs stock one year old 1200kg Meyle springs and Sachs OEM dampers. The bumpstop rubbers are in place.

Should I be concerned about the amount that the bumpstop is protruding into the bag? The position in the photo is with the suspension arm supporting the weight of the body.

The van feels good - even at only 15 psi and stock ride height, there is noticeably less body roll.

I fitted the bags exactly as per the instructions and thoroughly cleaned the coils before fitting. I'm a little confused by the instructions stating that 15 - 25 psi are recommended when fitted but between 50 - 100psi can be used on a motorhome. I certainly don't see any need for more than 20 psi to accommodate the additional weight of electric cycles (less batteries) hung from the rear carrier. Will they really take 100 psi with a bumpstop sticking into them? (I suppose the pressure will increase hitting a bump when cornering :cool:) )

I'm off to Spain next week and don't want any bag problems - Any comments welcomed Jonathon.

Alan

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Alan,

Firstly I'm really sorry about the telephone thing, we're just flat out at the moment and aren't really set up for phones at the best of times, email's the best way to get through to me because I can get a quick look in while keeping an eye on machinery (or because I can check it at weird hours!), or a PM on here of course.

This one is designed for a maximum of 25PSI, the back page in the manual is generic across the whole range, and it's really only the bellow type bags that are designed up to 100PSI.

That doesn't look too good if I'm honest, I think it'd be a good idea to trim the bump stop down a bit so it's not protruding so far into the bag. The main thing to watch out for is that metal edge, personally I'd be tempted to trim back the metal lip a bit, and fit some sort of protector over it just to make sure there aren't any sharp edges in contact with the bag. We have these polyurethane protectors that a lot of people use with lowered vans (pretty sure AJ333 is the most popular). I'd be happy to send you a couple if you like?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thank for your prompt reply and for confirming my doubts Jonathon.

I'll reduce the pressure to 5 psi in the meantime and I'll PM you my address for a couple of protectors. We're leaving at the weekend but I only have workshop facilities til Friday.

Once the bumpstops are removed then I'm assuming the assistance by the Airlifts are by the hernia effect through the coils - not against the bumpstop?

Thanks again - PM on it's way, Alan

·
Registered
396 Posts
Interested to hear there are protectors available. I had a similar concern about contact with the turrets (I'm on standard springs) so used exhaust hanger rings of a suitable diameter to provide protection. Still working well after 12 months, the bags greatly improve handling under load T: From memory I think they're running at 18-20 lbspsi

Before (contact not as pronounced as Alan's)

After

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am tempted by a set of these for the back my van to help when transporting our motorcycles,
My van is lowered 80mm at present and would like something which is adjustable to help when the extra weight is added.
running retempered coils so there is no adjusters to worry about.

At a guesstimate I am adding about 600kg, when 2 bikes and gear is all loaded and this helps lower the vehicle quite drasticly,
Who has fitted these and are there any criticism or comments on them?

I have no issues about cutting down the bump stops or modify ing things for fitment,
cheers in advance

1 - 20 of 39 Posts