VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Interested to hear there are protectors available. I had a similar concern about contact with the turrets (I'm on standard springs) so used exhaust hanger rings of a suitable diameter to provide protection. Still working well after 12 months, the bags greatly improve handling under load T: From memory I think they're running at 18-20 lbspsi

Before (contact not as pronounced as Alan's)

After
Good one spirals T: Are your bumpstops cut down or are the rubber tips still in place?

I've used Airlift bags in the past - in fact, I crawled below my old Bongo I sold to a neighbour and the bags are still looking good after 7 years - although they are mounted vertically and there's no bumpstop protruding into them.

I intend to cut the bumpstops back and fit the protector supplied by Jonothan. Max. allowable weight on the coachbuilt is 3300 kg, although I rarely run over 3000.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ideal thats the sort of info I wanted,
I have cut most of the bumpstop off but can get a nylon sleeve to go over it to protect the bag to help
I was thinking of running it vertically with the valve through the rear arm to try and stop crimping butwill have to figur this out later,
For the price I think its worth a punt and see what happens,

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the pics Spirals, that looks much better T:

One thing I'm looking at at the moment is whether it'd be possible to use this universal bump stop on a lowered van (or generally where there's contact):
http://www.air-lift.co.uk/product.php?unique_id=3574
It's just a matter of getting an M10 thread tapped into the hole in the flat ledge inside the spring locator, then the outer lip can be cut right down to the ledge if necessary. Just a thought though, not an official statement you understand :)

Ideal thats the sort of info I wanted,
I have cut most of the bumpstop off but can get a nylon sleeve to go over it to protect the bag to help
I was thinking of running it vertically with the valve through the rear arm to try and stop crimping butwill have to figur this out later,
For the price I think its worth a punt and see what happens,
I think a lot of people have done this, it's a more fiddly way of doing it as it means drilling through the trailing arm but on a lowered van it kind of makes sense, just puts less pressure on the seam it's self.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Full marks to Airlift UK and Jonathan for his customer service. I received the spacers first class post today - still working out a way to pay for them :*

Thanks for a great service A:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Good one spirals T: Are your bumpstops cut down or are the rubber tips still in place?
Hi, I've left everything 'stock'. The bumpstop rubbers aren't cut in any way so the cones effectively centre and hold in place the donut rings I've added. From memory it's not exactly a flat face that's being presented to the bag top, but it's a fairly even distribution of load

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok, job done. The polyurethane spacers fitted. The hole in the spacer comes halfway up the T4 bumpstop rubber and is located and centralised by it. The photo shows the spacer in place , bags at 10psi and the body load at trim height level.

I'm a lot happier now and can set off for Spain at the weekend without waiting for a POP down the Picos de Europa :cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok, job done. The polyurethane spacers fitted. The hole in the spacer comes halfway up the T4 bumpstop rubber and is located and centralised by it. The photo shows the spacer in place , bags at 10psi and the body load at trim height level.

I'm a lot happier now and can set off for Spain at the weekend without waiting for a POP down the Picos de Europa :cool:

Ok, still in north Spain but thought I'd report on the Airlift 1000s.

Just a reminder, this is a T4 chassis cab with an Autosleepers monocoque body tagged onto the back. Unladen weight is approx. 2.8 tonnes. There's a sub section bolted onto the rear of the cab chassis rails to support the extended body - shower room, kitchen with oven and cupboards sit behind the axle line. a Fiamma bike rack with 2 electric cycles (sans batteries) is bolted onto the rear body wall. Max. allowed weight is 3.5 tonne - I'm guessing we're at 3.1 laden.

The stock 1200kg springs take a pounding to the extent that there are rub marks from the tyres on the body underarch (I thought the noise was the mudflaps touching down I:) The airbags are as shown in the above post and are working a dream. Sitting at 15 psi, they are just starting to lift the rear of the van, meaning the coils are doing most of the work. No more bottoming out and survived an almighty pounding when I took a French single rail crossing a tad too fast - the anti-roll bar is knocking a bit since :eek:

Summing up, I've used Airlift products before and I'm impressed with then on the T4. Less cross wind wandering, less tail dip on undulating bumps, ride height is spot on (hate sleeping at an angle) and definitely do their job when put to the test. I fitted mine with separate lines Broraboyan, if that answers your question.

Big thanks A: to Airlift UK - time to head out for una cervesa and some pinxos.................

·
Registered
107 Posts
Broraboyan - you wouldn't happen to know the boy with the Bongo in Brora would you? Forgotten his name but he's got about a dozen ginger haired kids..............

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I have a California t5 and I write from Italy. How do you find yourself with air lifts? Has anyone had any problems? Does it get too rigid or does it improve handling?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts