VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all.

I'm thinking that some kind of airvent would be a good idea for my T4, especially when camping in cooler conditions (to help reduce the condensation build up) and to keep the temperature down in the middle of summer.

Are there any good ones that I should be considering, and likewise, any junk ones I should be steering clear of?

If anyone has any pictures of their vents, during the install if possible, I would love to see them!

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
just go one to replace old that was damaged, located on my hightop

bought Fiamma 400mm by 400mm vent crystal, bought crystal as the kids sleep up top and like to look at the stars at night

It needs a sqaure hole 390mm by 390mm

fleabay £45 crystal and £35 white £7 p&p or PM Palmer, he deals with Fiamma and may do a better price

will be fitting in the next few days, will try and do pics, mine should be straightforward in new out with old

they are relatively easy to fit, cutting out hole is the fiddly bit.

good luckH:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Have a look at boat sites they do them, including some with solar powered extrators built in. Not sure how noisy they would be though. Failing that stick a Pug 106 sunroof in

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
just took old Fiamma roof vent out of hightop, cleaned old sealant off with ascertone, came out without problem.

bugger, have a few snags to sort out before the new one goes in.

found some cracks in the fibreglass around the vent hole that need repairing, also, new vent is designed differently, it is slightly wider, so l need to cut a bigger hole as well :eek:

so l re-sealed and replaced old vent to keep van dry.

gutted:bhd

so my project on a dry day, is to repaire fibreglass, cut out bigger hole and fit new vent, this will take a full day, not the expected couple of hours (dry day?)

does anyone else get these sort of unexpected problems when they start a seemingly straightforward project?T::jiggy

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
well, update on roof vent replacement, old one it had been vandelised by, l assume, kids, throwing stones whilst van was parked in train station

had a sunny morning in s wales today, so got on with the project, seems to be wet a lot here at the moment:blg

the new fiamma 400x400 clear vent has a new design compared to my old one, in each corner and in the centre of each side of the frame there are 1inch depth blocks which insert into hightop

the old one is flat without blocks, new vent does not seems to have the build/design quality, maybe l am picky:cool:

l made a paper template of new vent, placed it over hole and drew around to give me a drilling guide

l had to drill out x8 additional holes using a plaster board circular cutter, did the job a treat

also did some minor fibreglass repairs whilst there, there were hairline cracks which l dremelled and filled with gelcoat

used sealed new vent with mastic and slotted it into hightop, screwed down with x20 screws, the original screw holes married up with new, which saved some time

fitted interior frame and mesh

job doneA:

kids and l can again, look at the stars when we go away, this is one of the highlights of our family holidaysT:

job done,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts