VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Air Vent

392 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Philshoz 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking into getting a t4, without a pop top

Has anyone fitted an air vent to the roof of their van, how hard was this and roughly what was the costs involved?

Also, has anyone fitted one and regretted it, or not fitted one and regretted it?

Cheers :)

#2 ·
I installed 2 x sun roofs in my van, whilst on holiday in UK.
Working on my mum's drive, limited tools (my dad's, who died 13 years ago).
Took me around 3 hours to fit both....one over drivers section, one in the centre (between ribs).
Centre one has a VERY slight drip at one corner (glass to frame), but only when going through a pressure car wash....never leaked with 2 feet of snow on the roof!

I'm sure if you just want an opening "vent", should take about an hour to fit using a drill/jig-saw/silicone.
Only thing to watch out for, is the wiring to the roof lights....you don't want to cut through those!
Otherwise, I did both with the roof linings IN....just used a long jig saw blade from outside and cut metal and interior in one go.
Quality tape on the body stops the saw scratching the paint.

#4 · (Edited)
Another option that would maybe help....at the back of the van are 2 air vents (down at floor level).
It's possible to fit a couple of computer fans (get the slowest speed ones, quieter) and use these to suck air IN from ground level.
Take very little power....wouldn't flatten a battery after being on for a weekend.

Considering those vents are at the back, I'd think about the roof vent inbetween 1st and 2nd roof ribs.
If you have a tailgate, there are also "spacers" made to fit between the catch and lock to allow it to stay open a few mm, and still be secure.

Many "converters" install a fan/vent unit in the roof, built in 3 speed fan that can work both ways.....

Will cost more than a simple "vent".....but you could look into it....maybe contact CaliCampers, see if they have one from a scrap van?

Wind deflectors on the front windows also allow you to leave them open 3-4cm and still prevent rain/fingers getting in!

#5 ·
I did our '97 1.9tdi about 17 years ago.
We had just moved to the South of France and being Friesen Green it got very hot in the sun.
Take your time, use good quality sealant and as Or_Gaz said, watch out for those pesky wires.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.