VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my heater vents on my T5, the fan is fully working fine. The directional control is fully working fine adn you can hear this changing correctly, I have air blowing when in the windscreen position - all fine, I have air blowing when in the windscreen and footwell postion - all fine, I have air blowing when in the footwell position - all fine. When I have the front air vent position I do not have air blowing - very very minor air gets out. All vents are open. I tried air con yesterday and ended up with a damp dashboard on the top?? and ice build up on windscreen, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks:D

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hello,

The heater controls in T5s are notorious for failing. a design flaw means that the heater dial (that selects where hot or cold air should be blown) should never be turned from "12 O'clock" through to "3 O'clock". There should be a physical stop there that makes you turn it anti clockwise. Turning the control through that position wears and frays the braided control cable inside the heater and stops the dampers from working.

This post http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/ho...opic49523.html is the best that I have found to show you the problem and how to fix it. It's illustrated, so it's simple to follow -- I propped my iPad up on the dash and worked through it, but you could always print it if you're still rocking the olde schoole.

In a nutshell, you take the dash apart and straighten the braided cable. I also took the glove box out and rolled the damper round to make it fully open onto the correct vent position. I will take the article's advice and replace the braided cable with solid because this is not a permanent fix.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've seen that thread but feel that may not be the issue? Only reason is that I can feel the change when turning the dial as if everything is working correctly, like I said the top and bottom are fine, the dial is still tight and does not appear to have been passed the 12:00 - 15:00 position (but I amy be wrong), it is as if the pipework may have been disconnected to the main front air vents (if you know what I mean) hard to explain on a forum...... Anyway - A job for tonight, I will follow the instructions to see if I can access the area. Thankyou:)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Mine was exactly as you describe and the previous owner had VW fit the modified dial that won't go between 12&3, still no air from centre vents

I had to take it apart and straighten the cable where it hooks onto the dial, only a tiny twist with my pliers and it's blowing a gale out of the centre vents now Ü

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

The heater controls in T5s are notorious for failing. a design flaw means that the heater dial (that selects where hot or cold air should be blown) should never be turned from "12 O'clock" through to "3 O'clock". There should be a physical stop there that makes you turn it anti clockwise. Turning the control through that position wears and frays the braided control cable inside the heater and stops the dampers from working.

This post http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/ho...opic49523.html is the best that I have found to show you the problem and how to fix it. It's illustrated, so it's simple to follow -- I propped my iPad up on the dash and worked through it, but you could always print it if you're still rocking the olde schoole.

In a nutshell, you take the dash apart and straighten the braided cable. I also took the glove box out and rolled the damper round to make it fully open onto the correct vent position. I will take the article's advice and replace the braided cable with solid because this is not a permanent fix.
Hello. I'm having exactly the same problem. However, when I try the link to see what to do on my iPad, I get a 404 Error message and the file can't be found. Anyone else have a similar problem?
Mac

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Sounds like the cable has bent. I found that even if you straighten it the cable usually goes again, so while you have the dash out you may as well change to a solid core cable, they are only about £7 from the main stealer.

Part no. V7H2 819 837 C

You can see in the picture the old kinked cable & the replacement one with the solid core.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi Dan,
I'm also having the same problem. I live just outside Plymouth and could drive up to you. How much would you charge for the Fix?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem but it was fixed using the link to brickyard. Unfortunately, I had to get a new control unit as the Temperature selector had broken. It was fun trying to get the cables off! Managed to strip out the old unit and install the new one in less than an hour, thanks to the advice on the forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the dash out at weekend and followed the Brickyard link! Still didn't solve my issue though, I've still got nothing coming out of center vents! The cable didn't seem to be too damaged and there were no obvious kinks in it.
I did notice though that when you turn the dial to 3 O'Clock that the cable has to bend through 90degrees anyway, so was a little baffled as to why a small kink would be an issue! At 12 O'clock the cable is at full stretch so is straight, at 3 O'clock the cable is bent at 90 degrees.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've just bought a T5 and noticed this the other day!

Just came accross this thread so happy days! A:

I'll add this to the job list! :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a problem with my heater vents on my T5, the fan is fully working fine. The directional control is fully working fine adn you can hear this changing correctly, I have air blowing when in the windscreen position - all fine, I have air blowing when in the windscreen and footwell postion - all fine, I have air blowing when in the footwell position - all fine. When I have the front air vent position I do not have air blowing - very very minor air gets out. All vents are open. I tried air con yesterday and ended up with a damp dashboard on the top?? and ice build up on windscreen, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks:D
Had the same problem with my t5, dash vents getting just a trickle of air. Found that the blanking plates on the end of the air duct behind the dash were not in place! If you've haven't got vents in the doors or on the end of the dash the duct needs to be blank off. take the end panels off and find the main duct you should be able to see or feel the end of the duct! My local dealer could show my van had one fitted but you need 2 as it turned out mine had neither. Cost about £12 from vw!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just wanted to give this a bump to say thanks for posting, it's exactly the issue i have.
Tommorows job!
Cheers Forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

I have a T5 LWB Syncro bus. When I switch on the rear heater I can hear the motor whirring but no air appears,none at all.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Hawkjays

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a bad green cable like #8, took it out with some diificulty and now I want to replace it with my new cable. The problem is that I could feel the place where the black little bulb should be placed, but to press it on was to difficult. I do not have much movement when my arm has to go through the little vent on left side of radio, and I am a bit careful not to destroy something.
My van has the driverseat on the left so there is not an option to go from the glove compartement.
When I released the bulb I had to pull the cable towards the centre of the van, and it went loose easy. I did try to do similar movement to get the bulb on place but it did not succeed. Maybee it is easy as just to press it in place with some force?
So it would be nice to know the procedure to press the bulb on to the actuator on the airbox.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts