VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

An update of what I have learned today fixing the problem of a bent directional control cable.

The cable with the red end is for the temperature selector dial (sorry, I don't know the part number for this one)
The one with the green end is for the direction selector dial (7H2 819 835 D solid core) which supersedes (7H2 819 835C braided core)
The one with the yellow end (7H2 819 833C) also connects to the direction selector dial but only comes into play if either of the 'down' positions are selected.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem and fixed it today following the link on here. Many thanks for that!
Was wondering how to prevent it happening again though, as it looked like it would just bend when I move the direction control again?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All

I had this problem with my central blowers, so I followed the advice on this thread and bought a new solid core cable. I've just fitted this today and wow what a fiddly job it was!!.

Anyway after fitting the new cable I tried out the blowers and they still not 100%. I noticed that when I turned the direction dial a small white flap on the LHS moved. I played about a bit with this and found that when selecting the central blowers I could move this flap forward a bit and this sorted the problem out.

So it seems that even after replacing the cable it still isn't pulling this flap far enough to make the blowers 100%, is there anything else that I could give a try to sort this out??

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
gday guys. got this bloody vent control issue where my braided cable is as weak as and kinks every time i twist the control towards face (3 o'clock). I'm looking to replace this with the solid cable however i'm having trouble removing the existing cable at the dash end. can anyone provide some insight on how this comes off? i am able to pop the ball from the end of the cable off fine but can't figure out how that black bit comes off?

thanks in advance,
Vince.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have similar problem, blower is working and I can definitely hear the air running inside the dash. Defroster works (at least kept windows open on winter), and it does blow in the lightly footwell, but no air is coming from the dash vents. The thing is, I have a Multivan and Climatronic, thus I don't have cables but electronic actuators.

I ran output tests with VCDS, and I can hear the actuator motors running and flaps moving, but still no air from the dash vents. Is there any other possibility, than broken actuators inside the dash, I would love to try something else before removing the whole dash? Rear vents are working ok, but then again, there's separate blower for those.

I also read fault codes from AC with VCDS:3 Faults Found:
00898 - Control Circuit A/C compressor
009 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
01592 - Air Quality Sensor (G238)
010 - Open or Short to Plus
00229 - Refrigerant Pressure
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Was just about to post a thread regarding my centre vents not throwing out air when I came across this thread, job for the weekend! T:

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
So just trying to solve this issue, it appears I already have the solid bar replacement over the braided cable yet still very little air coming through centre vents.

I’ve taken the end panels off to check the duct blanking panels are there which they are.

Anyone have any suggestions please as I’m stuck for ideas.

Thanks

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Thought I'd update on this in case anyone else has the same issue, I managed to resolve this by adjusting the white saucer sized plastic wheel behind the radio, unfortunately I didn't get any photos as it was "oh what the vents are working" type of work, but if you're suffering this issue, it's 100% worth looking at the dish before going to a garage or ordering new parts.

Hope this is of some use. T:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thought I'd update on this in case anyone else has the same issue, I managed to resolve this by adjusting the white saucer sized plastic wheel behind the radio, unfortunately I didn't get any photos as it was "oh what the vents are working" type of work, but if you're suffering this issue, it's 100% worth looking at the dish before going to a garage or ordering new parts.

Hope this is of some use. T:
I replaced the cable last year but I still didn't get any (very little ) air from the center vents, I know exactly what you mean about the white disk at the back and I'm convinced the little flap arms are somehow in the wrong position but I can find and info on how they should be as no matter what I try the one closest doesn't appear to move at all when the disk rotates as it just follows the track.

Initially I left the front arm out the track as it seemed to be preventing the disk turning but recently I saw a picture with the disk in a slightly different position which made me think the back arm was wrong. With a lot of fiddling I got both arms in position so they don't pop out but like I said earlier the nearest one doesn't appear to move? which can't be right as it needs to to open the flaps??

I really wish you had taken some pictures!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased a 10 year old T5 and joined the forum. Already paying dividends as I found this post, followed the instructions and air is now coming out of the centre vents. Thanks for posting. Biggest challenge I had was getting the after market Kenwood head unit out. I was also able to straighten the cable just with my fingers It really is a quick fix. Thanks again

·
Registered
448 Posts
I also managed it on my 3rd attempt, probably spent 10 hours on it over 2 years in total. :eek:

The problem I had was whoever had the van before me must have had a go themselves and upset the the disc/cam contraption at the back as all the cams were in the wrong slots so when I fitted the stiff cable it just seemed too short and the top cam arm jumped out even with the original cable.

In my latest attempt I fiddled about blindly with all the cams without the cable attached until it moved freely and all vents were working, put the cable back and sat back in awe of my technical prowess.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Always a great feeling when you fix something yourself!

My vents however are now not blowing up the screen when dialled into that position, so before the winter rolls in I'll be tackling this once again :*

·
Registered
448 Posts
Always a great feeling when you fix something yourself!

My vents however are now not blowing up the screen when dialled into that position, so before the winter rolls in I'll be tackling this once again :*
Probably those pesky vent arm/cams on that disk, they're a bugger to get to and you can't see the side you need to work on so it's a case of popping them in and out until it runs freely.

I found these pics so I had an idea what I was dealing with, there's 2 arms coming out the side of the airbox.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Great stuff, thanks Matt. Definitely the culprit we adjusted to get the central blowers working, but must still be misaligned. Getting them working for the summer was a must LOL:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Great stuff, thanks Matt. Definitely the culprit we adjusted to get the central blowers working, but must still be misaligned. Getting them working for the summer was a must LOL:
I've had 2 summers driving through France without central blowers, no way was I going to do it a 3rd time!!!

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
I've had 2 summers driving through France without central blowers, no way was I going to do it a 3rd time!!!
:eek: even with my blower working, it was so hot week before last while in Wales of all places.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Logged on to ask about this exact problem only to see it bumped up the list from 2014. Weird.

No air coming from my middle vents but also the dial will not fully lock into the 3 o’clock position as in picture.

Can I assume it’s a twisted cable issue? Any body had the dial issue along with the no air out of vent issue?

TBH taking the dash off gives me the fear but if it sorts out the issue I’ll give it a go. :eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Certainly sounds like a twisted cable. Taking the dash apart isn't that hard, I watched a youtube video as I did mine for the first time, just take your time and it'll be fine.

If you've not got any trim removal tools (I didn't) you'll need something relatively hard plastic, I used a squeegee from when I used to vinyl wrap my car parts. Basically a thicker bank card will help. T:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Certainly sounds like a twisted cable. Taking the dash apart isn't that hard, I watched a youtube video as I did mine for the first time, just take your time and it'll be fine.

If you've not got any trim removal tools (I didn't) you'll need something relatively hard plastic, I used a squeegee from when I used to vinyl wrap my car parts. Basically a thicker bank card will help. T:
Yeah saw that vid. Gonna have a go I think ?

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Yeah saw that vid. Gonna have a go I think ?
You'll be fine, as I say just take your time and apply some care. First time the trims come of they are quite stubborn, but they will release. T:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts