VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done search and can't find any info on this..
I'm about to fit a cruise control stalk and at the same time replace the clockspring for the airbag.
Question... Do I just replace it as is or have I to wind it up/unwind it before fitting? :*
I notice there is a kimble holding it from spinning until it is fitted, and the only thing I've seen on the web is a video where the poster spins it one way and then the other.
No instructions (as usual) came with the spring.
Thanks

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,348 Posts
It's typical that they call it a "clock spring"......
It's NOT a "spring"...just a coil of wire that allows it the rotation.
Original system was just a lever/finger and a copper ring for the horn.....
When it got more advanced, some "student" (fresh out of college) decided a flexible (for a while) cable was needed to connect airbags, and later "flappy pedal" gearchange and all the rest of the "user-interface" options.

If you look at race/rally cars, they don't use that delicate system, they have a THICK, coiled, wire connecting those functions.....LOL

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,348 Posts
Good news A:

On a Smart Car that "spring" also connects to a sensor for the wheel position....if you get it just a few degrees out (one spline), the car goes into "limp mode" as the "wonderful computers" (all 3 of them!) don't understand if the car is going straight or on a bend....TOO MANY BLOODY SENSORS!!!! LOL:

Horn, steering angle sensor, "flappy paddles", airbag, cruise control, all go through those 4 "wires"...just a variation on resistance that the computer looks for....imaging what those connectors are like after 15 years!?!??! (Smart/Mercedes stopped making the Roadster in 2005..mainly due to the number of recalls for leaks....just what you want onto the main ECU..mounted under the washer motor tray...LOL.)

To be technical (I know you like me to do this... I: ), if the resistance is say 55 ohms, that means change UP a gear, if it's 50 ohms, change down......We all know that is a VERY little change on 15 year old wiring/connectors.
It's become common for the horn to sound when changing gear....or the car to change gear whilst pressing the horn (even worse!).

OH...and Mercedes don't supply the "spring"...it's complete steering wheel at £850..PLUS calibration :eek::eek::eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts