VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

As my name suggests I'm a new Caravelle T5 174 auto owner. I bought the van as a disabled conversion and have spent the past week having the wheelchair lift/electric drivers seat & hand controls removed. These have all been done now but this has left me with a few problems that I'm hoping some of you guys maybe able to help me with! When I bought the van it had a fault which was airbag p/tensioner fault (no airbag yellow light was illuminated on the dsh though). i assumed this was because the drivers seat had been disconnected and the disabled electric seat installed. After having all the conversions removed the yellow airbag light is now on! I bought an interrogation/reset tool which said there was 5 airbag faults. I reset them and 2 cleared. The 3 remaining faults are 1) 01217 side airbag ignitor drive side (n199) static - value of resistance too small. 2) 01284 Side airbag: drivers side: disabled. Static - no indication on. 3) 01286 Belt tensioner: drivers side: disabled. static - no. I was wondering if anyone knows if vagcom software could enable them and if this would possibly clear the faults? Also the van has elec sliding doors and the rear nearside central locking sometimes doesn't open on the button so the slide door will not open. Does anyone know if this is common fault?

If vagcom could solve does anyone know somebody in Cheshire who could help me out?

Sorry for the essay guys! The site is brilliant btw and has been invaluable to me so far! Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dazzar,

The passanger seat was removed and replaced on Monday when I had the underfloor wheelchair removed. This is the first time The yellow airbag light came on (before this when the ignition was turned on I had a warning on the dash telling me there was an a/bag pretensioner fault). I did a bit of hunting on the net and think the yellow light came on because the passanger airbag was disconnected bringing a DTC in.

On Tuesday the van went in to a different place to have the disabled conversion elec drivers seat removved (this is the standard seat on a special electric base which moves the seat into the rear of the van to allow easy access for a disabled person, as the seat moves so far back the electrics had been disconnected (heated seat with side airbag).

I thought it would just be a case of resetting the airbag light with the following tool

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAG-MaxiScan-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-CAN-VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-405-/200852547675?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2ec3bea85b

but when I used the tool I had the codes I listed in my first post. I can understand why the side airbag has been disabled but not sure why I would have a side airbag ignitor resistance low fault when I have reconnected everything. I also don't see why the seatbelt pretensioner would've been disabled by the original disabled converters (who no longer trade!) I don't know which of these will be bringing in the yellow airbag light (i'm thinking the ignitor fault)?

One more thing. Can I just go ahead and disconnect the seat electrics (including the airbag wires) without disconnecting the battery or do I have to do this first? Actually two more things! Do you know which wires are the seat airbag?

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi mate i dont think you can disable indviduel air bags, just to be safe i would disconcet the bty if you unplging stuff , i would advise great car if your testing anything to do with SRS , providing it has all gone back in as ti should there should be no probs, can you turn the pass air bag off if you have a child seat fitted in the front , as that will bring a warning light on , sometimes confussed wit ha fault.

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
The pre tensioner was probably disconnected due to the wiring running under the driver seat. As said by previous poster, use extreme caution working with these circuits and always with the battery disconnected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I will do! Do you know which wires are for the pre tensioner and which are for air bag and heated seat? I now see the pre tensioner and airbag would have to be disabled due to te wiring so the only fault I'm not sure of is the resistance low on the side airbag? Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
You should get a wiring diagrame that would be the best idea workshop manuels are avsilable for ebay fotr about s tenner mate

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
Belt tensioner wiring is a green and a white wire or a red and a black wire depending on side. Side air bag crash sensors are orange/green and orange/black.
If you want these wiring diagrams let me have your email address.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys, you lot really know your stuff and are ultra helpful! I chickend out of disconnecting the wires earlier today! I'm going to do let someone who knows a bit more take a look. I'm only really concerned about the side airbag ignitor fault (low resistance) I can't see why this would be up when it's connected (think I'm clutching at straws thinking it may be that I've connected it when it's disabled in the ECU. I've read it may be poss to solder a 3 ohm resistor in to fool the ECU into thinking the side airbag is ok?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts