VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

Had the airbag light on constantly for a long time now on my 2005 T5 1.9 tdi and need to get rid of it. I had the steering wheel off to replace the indicator/wiper module, and I may have upset something. I have a cheap vagcom cable and vcds lite which give the error code 00588 - Airbag Igniter, Driver Side (N95) 32-00 0 Resistance too High.
I have tried clearing the code, and the light goes out briefly but comes back on again. I have searched numerous internet sites and found a few suggestions, including taking off the instrument cluster and soldering all the connections, buying the full version of Ross Tech VCDS and of course going to the dealer. I replaced the drivers seatbelt recently and everything appears to be properly connected. I checked the lead from the seatbelt to the box under the rubber mat in the centre of the floor. I took off the steering wheel and airbag again and the connections appear ok. I did not interfere with the clockspring within the indicator/wiper module. Also the van's horn has not been working for a long time either, although it did work once last December, so perhaps there s an issue with the horn contacts behind the Airbag in the steering wheel. I would be grateful for any suggestions that may be offered as my only remaining idea is to remove the bulb !!!!

Thanks.:*

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

Any chance you can let me know how to check the clockspring tracks with a multimeter, think I have one somewhere. Also where does one find the squib ring if it needs replacing?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Funny that. I have had a clicking noise on my wheel for a while now. Thought nothing of it till the airbag light came on today and I found the horn didn't work.

I picked up a new clock spring fitted within 45 mins and a quick check / clear with Vagcom lite and bobs your uncle. Problem solved and saved about £80 labour charge from my local! T:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried as many suggestions as I could, still no joy. When I last replaced the Slip Ring must not have fitted it properly, when I turned the steering wheel I snapped some small piece of plastic housing maybe ? Now I too have the clicking sound from the steering. Anyhoo, long story short, bit the bullet and have a nice new 2nd hand slip ring coming from the bay for a snip at £19.99. Hopefully next week normal service will be resumed......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tried as many suggestions as I could, still no joy. When I last replaced the Slip Ring must not have fitted it properly, when I turned the steering wheel I snapped some small piece of plastic housing maybe ? Now I too have the clicking sound from the steering. Anyhoo, long story short, bit the bullet and have a nice new 2nd hand slip ring coming from the bay for a snip at £19.99. Hopefully next week normal service will be resumed......
Hi,

Did you get the problem fixed?

Thanks,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts