VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know to some it's not a problem and doesn't bother them but on not days the van gets real hot and with little en and wife all getting hot and me it's not ideal scenario !

Has anyone fitted a aircon unit that can run off electrics whilst being driven and stationary?

I've read threads about retro fit and it seems a massive job and big money,I'd be better off selling my van and buying again!

·
Registered
794 Posts
The problem is that electric air con needs a lot of power to work. About 1500 Watts for a small one-room air con unit. That's equivalent to about 125 amps from a 12-volt battery. Which just isn't feasible.

There are two other types of cooler though, neither of which use much power.

One is a box filled with ice (or with those blue ice-block things) and a fan blowing air over it. You'll find design ideas around the web - try Instructables.com An example popped up on here recently too. Of course, it only lasts as long as the ice stays frozen. Useful at a campsite if there is a freezer available for campers to use. But then you might as well just take a small domestic a/c unit with you and plug that in to the lekky hookup instead.

The other is an evaporative cooler, which can work for as long as it has a supply of water to evaporate. But it's not really suitable in an enclosed space.

I did enquire about retro-fit of a/c to my old T4... around £2000. So I sold my van and bought one with a/c. It was cheaper that way.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Yes you can fit air con to the van. My Caravelle/Multivan was ordered new with factory fit Air con, which VW forgot to process...(Bless them!) So the dealer had the VW spec cab air con fitted here in Swindon. VW used an Italien supplier and it came with all the VW switches etc and works fine.

However you cannot with any auto Air con use it without the engine. Some Mercedes will let you, but the battery is dead within the hour. Vw does not allow it for obvious reasons.

If you want a mains, house type of kit, vented to the outside you are likely trying to go a step too far. T:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts