VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if someone could tell me what the heater is for located on the right front bottom of the engine bay. If you start the engine then turn off it keeps running blowing steam or something from the exhaust located in the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Sounds none standard. Maybe it;s an Eberspacher or similar diesel heater. Trace it back. The main module's likely under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely standard . It's all vw stamped, it's a multivan if it helps. It has coolant pipes going to it so my original guess it was to help speed up engine running temp , or something to do with the egr, you can see why I'm asking because I can't work it out.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,350 Posts
It IS standard!
It's a heater that fires up with temps below 5C to heat the engine water so it warms up faster.
When you turn off the engine, both it and an auxiliary pump will keep running for a few mins to circulate the coolant to prevent hot spots in the engine.

When you have -14C (like me today), it makes a CLOUD of steam-like from under the front when you stop!

There are kits available that enable you to turn it ON, before you start the van (timer), so the engine is warm when you get into it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi gaz

Out of interest you wouldn't know where to get the timer kit from , could be handy after a surf the van does take awhile to warm up normally.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,350 Posts
Mine's not a Multivan, just a windowed panel van.

Adey, you can't just put a switch on it (assuming you want to run it with the engine off), as you also need the aux water pump running to circulate the water.

The 'velle I scrapped had been "re-plumbed" with a separate pump and a valve system to circulate the water from it through the heater matrix....and used as a night heater.

I believe the genuine Eber timer has extra wiring to turn the pump on, but not 100% on that.
The genuine also has diagnostic functions which is very useful if you get a fault.

There's someone on here uses an old Nokia 'phone to switch his on and off remote!
Look on ebay, there was a "kit" for it at one time.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,350 Posts
Possibly standard on ALL Scandinavian vans?

Never seen one here without it....basic vans and even the pick-up version has it.

They also come with the electric engine-block heater and interior 500W fan heater normally. (Search DEFA)
(Never used it, as can't be bothered plugging it in every night....same with the heated seats...it only gets to -20C so haven't EVER switched them on in 8 years!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts