VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys
Just bought me a 2.5 tdi 1999 swb on Monday and first things first is to get timing belt changed with water pump etc, I've been told about a tensioner plate that is advisable to have replaced as the pin that holds the tensioner spring can corrode away and will bugger the timing and screw my engine, can anyone tell me where I can buy one of these plates or do they come in the belt kit? I def not risking leaving the old one on. This might have been brought up before but I'm new to the forum and not got to grips with all the searching business yet.
Any info would be great
Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I think you're referring to the cam belt rear cover. There's a copper pin rivetted onto it and the belt tensioner locates onto it so that the tension can be set. This pin can become loose to the point of failing thus leaving your belt flapping. You'd have to buy a new rear cover with the pin in place. Me, I just got a small rivet nut matching the pin diameter and bolted it in from the rear of the cover with thread lock and it's held solid.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for the info.
I don't think I'll be doing the timing belt myself so will look in to getting the rear cover for when I have it done, the old one may not fail but I don't want to risk it.
Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts