VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all.
Needing to change the oil on my van, the computer at my work lists 5w30 for it.
Someone who I know that runs a t4 says to use 10w40, can anyone shed any light on it for me please??
We stock 5w30 but not 10w40
Cheers

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
This 5w30 oil we've got at work says VW 502.00/505.00/505.01 on it.
Had another guy in today saying use 10w40 semi synth as it's a lot thicker and would def be better for age and miles of my van.

·
Registered
819 Posts
There should be a sticker on the rocker cover saying which spec oil to use, the 502.00 505.00 505.01 you have will be fine.
VW`s Quantum 5/40 covers 505.00 spec but so does the 10/40 which does 501.00 and 505.00. Yours is a 5/30 but if it has the right spec its fine, there is no right and wrong, if the specs there it meets the requirements of the engine, its then upto you what you prefer to use semi / fully etc or your budget, or whats FREE from work. T:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Mine has an AJT and the sticker says 506 not 505. I spent hours researching this a few years ago and it turns out you want 507 as 506 is hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Mine has an AJT and the sticker says 506 not 505. I spent hours researching this a few years ago and it turns out you want 507 as 506 is hard to come by.
It depends on the ages of the vehicle.

Mine's an '99 AJT and it says 505.00 on the slam panel - (same engine as yours AFAIK).
Emissions might have something to do with it I - at a certain year the T4's became Euro3 so maybe better oil was needed to help it with that.

I think good 'ole 10W40 is fine..., but I do like the idea of 5W40... but I don't like the idea 5W30, I think that's too thin.T:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated.
I don't suppose you know the capacity I need do you? Will obvs be changing the filter as well
Cheers

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
5.5 litres is the official spec (so get a 1 litre topper as well).
Personally I have never managed to get more than 5 litres in (even with filter change :confused:).
Maybe the order in which I drain isn't as effective.

I drain the sump then change the filter, I guess once I remove the filter some oil drops back into the sump.
I tested this theory on my Mrs's car, drain the sump, drain bolt back in, changed the filter, then checked the sump again - no extra oil came out...
I'll do the same on my T4 next service.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil change done, left it draining as well as the filter off at same time whilst I ate my dinner.
Ended up using some 10w40 semi synth that landed at work this morn from vauxhall, it's got to be better than what was in it already.
I used about 6 and 1/4 litre in the end after I had fired it up and let the oil light go out.
Decided to check gear oil whilst underneath and I'm glad I did as it was near enough bone dry.
Two jobs done, many more to go :eek:)
Cheers for your input guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts