No, will do that for the second one. This one shows the cut out ready for the perforated alcantara to sit in. The reason for this is that u have an excess of material at the bottom of the post due to needing more material for the recess where belt sits.
The tricky part is the lack of money and deciding what the 'low hanging fruit' is when there isn't much surplus or truly unneeded on it because it's a van and it's a pretty simple thing!
For comparison sake before I fitted the buckets I put the rear seats back in (combi) and went out for a drive, this was to get it back to the highest weight starting point. Then I removed:
Rear seats -70kg?
Spare wheel & spare wheel clamp hardware -22kg
Engine cover (not enough to count but it needed to come out for other reasons)
Leisure battery under passenger seat (-30kg)
Rear headlining (needed to come out anyway -10kg)
Changed steering wheel to R32 (-0.8kg and much much nicer )
Fitted Cobra bucket seats (-26kg).
Total lost = -159kg ish*
*because some of these weights are estimates...
Now obviously no spare wheel is ridiculous and I wouldn't keep it like that but all other changes are permanent.
I wanted to see it the effect was noticeable and it was, it was noticeably more responsive. One massive downside of this was a lot of weight came from the back of the van and the handling suffered. I could gain a lot of this back with coil overs which I intend to get.
The weight needs to be removed from the front and top of the van to have a positive effect. That being said the first thing I'm going to do when I get home is fit a PPT exhaust because that is ripe for the picking and it will also help a little with power and whats to follow in that area.
Possible next 'easy' changes would be:
PPT exhaust which I estimate at -20kg
Batteries -35kg (I do plan to use the rear battery for a sound system so I would change it to a lighter option)
In reality the battery options are horrifically expensive and I can't afford them but I put that in there because never the less it would be a straight swap and a very simple job.
I have some thoughts on the front end including a carbon bonnet and air box but in reality I don't think I have the time to do this even though I would love it as a project!
So that would give me a 10% weight reduction for no impact on my enjoyment or practicality of the van (I love those seats!).
If I could get just over 200bhp I think it would start to become fun to drive
I got it from Martrim in Sanbach because I saw him at a show and he had the perforated stuff at £25 a square metre which is a good price but it's much thicker than non perforated as it has an additional fabric backing so for curves and front roof lining I got some normal stuff also in black which is really thin but easier to work with oh and £50 a metre!! Got a tin of spreadable glue aswell as glue overspray on small panels is a pain and difficult to remove. I certainly prefer it over carpet for many reasons mainly easier to clean. More pics soon