VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

OK, here is the start of my build thread etc for my 2004 T5 T30 LWB 2.5tdi camper conversion.

My little intro here has a few pictures, so I'll start with some of those, and move on with the mods and updates as things go.

I've had the T5 for just under a year, and decided to make some changes to make it better for our needs.

It already had a professional conversion by Clearcut Conversions here in Barnstaple, North Devon about 8 years ago.

Usual layout, Waeco CR50 fridge, Smev twin burner and sink, split charge system with 100ah battery and Mains charger and hook up with circuit breakers etc. Evolution bed etc.

Lots of mods planned, but onto the pictures....

Ignore the carpet, previous owner had 2 big dogs...

I'm trying to get pictures up, but faffing with laptop, photobucket and phone to get them right, will post more in a bit.....

Cheers

Alistair

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Looks nice and tidy T:

I looked at one with a top like this but it was pointed out to me that it would no longer fit through McDonald's drive through so was ruled out .:D

Does it fit in your parking space? Looks snug .

Sorry but wheat beige is a very personal choice :rolleyes: we call it 'Jewish racing gold' :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I looked at a mk4 Golf once with a similar colour, it was called 'champagne gold' I think. Looked awesome.
Didn't get it as the loan payments were a little too much for comfort. Shame really.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ok.

How do you find it for temperature control (or lack of) ?
Well, we haven't been away camping for longer than a day or so, so not had extremes of heat (not very hot in the UK) but when it was converted the roof was covered in some type of close cell foam insulation stuff, and then the whole thing carpeted.

The blacked out windows probably help minimise it being like a greenhouse too I think?

If it's too cold, we have heating, too hot, we have extra vents, more on that later when I post up some more pictures... ?

Cheers

Alistair

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks nice and tidy T:

I looked at one with a top like this but it was pointed out to me that it would no longer fit through McDonald's drive through so was ruled out .:D

Does it fit in your parking space? Looks snug .

Sorry but wheat beige is a very personal choice :rolleyes: we call it 'Jewish racing gold' :D
Thanks!! I think as standard it will fit under 2.2 high, of course if you had some -50mm springs, I'm sure with all the weight in it with interior, batteries, water, gas, people and camping gear, it may well fit under without lower springs?

What height is maccy d's then?

It's quite snug to fit under our house, I now have big 200w solar panel and twin heki style skylights fitted, there is about 5cm max before it scrapes....

Now I have stock wheels instead of the 18's, I mean to get around the checking the proper height now with the extra bits on the roof...

It'll probably still struggle to fit under most things at 2.2. Plus being a lwb, it'd be a trying to drive round the tight corners they seem to have in these drive throughs.....you can always park in the car park....

Racing Jewish Gold, I like that! It's not to everyone's taste for sure, and is perhaps a little too "pipe and slippers" but it's growing on me, and is different to the normal colours offered in this model year. Just think, someone payed extra for this paint! They also got the electric windows, locking, mirrors and reverse sensors though, so not all bad. Shame they didn't spec air con, dumb asses...

Cheers

Alistair

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,102 Posts
Nice Camper T:
I don't mind that colour at all. Makes a nice change from white and is would still be a good light colour for touring in hot climes to reflect the sun.
My first company car (inheritated an Austin Ambassador :( ) was a similar gold and was perfect ... no need to wash it more than once a year :D

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Do you know, I never gave the colour a second thought when it comes to hot climates! The previous owner did go across to Europe maybe a couple of times a year, must have been pretty hot without air con?

Think the gold goes well with the commercial bumpers, still torn between upgrading to a 'velle or 5.1 front end....

Perhaps save the 600-1000 pounds and spend it on something else.... ?

Promise I'll get round to posting pictures.....

Alistair

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the outside so far

Twin heki style skylights, with black-out and flyscreen blinds that slide across, and the skylight can be fully opened.

The solar panel is a not too small 200w, which is the biggest I could fit whilst allowing space for the skylights.

I am contemplating a wheel, tyre change to some off road ones with steelies. The ones on the van are a brand new set with Continental tyres, only a few months old, but really liking this:

Probably in a 235/65/16 size, just need to see how much taller it will be, not much clearance under my house to fit it....

I'd probably keep the grey textured commercial bumpers as I think it works well with chunky tyres, I like the off road look. I loved this style on my old Audi Allroad.

Anyway, more updates soon

Alistair

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,102 Posts
I like the off-road look T: (not into the slamming side at all personally :) )
the BFGs look good but not sure how nice they are to drive on the road long-term? I went for General Grabber ATs on standard Steels that I had powdercoated. not got a good closeup on one on the van, but this is the general pattern ....
image_6 by David, on Flickr

IMG_4489 by David, on Flickr
I did buy a white lettering pen for a bit of fun but not used it yet :D

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice, I assume that the wheels are the other way round or you have a Carlos Fandango uber wide rim...?!

Not sure about the noise on road, I can probably live with it to be fair.

I'm not a fan of the slammed vans, but certainly like the look, just not for me. Nice ride, comfort and go anywhere are my goals. In fact I'd like a higher van but it wouldn't fit under the house....

Alistair

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know you have all ready bought your tyres
but I always use BFG all terrains on my 300 Tdi Discovery
and Ive never had less than 48000 miles from a set
I would not EVER fit anything else on my Disco and they give no more road noise than a road tyre A:A:
Interesting to hear. I'll source a set of good used steelies, bolts and caps and get them painted or powder coated black, and a set of BFG'S I reckon...

Cheers

Alistair

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, here's a few more details about the inside.

Still loving the Harris Tweed, pondering about the grey plastic, maybe go red or black?

This box of tricks is the Ampera Associates 25a DC-DC charger unit, with MPPT solar regulator, capable of running up to 200w solar, or 100w solar and 100w wind power. I have it linked together on solar to run my 200w panel.

Alistair

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The roof as you can see has twin MPK Heki style skylights, they have blackout and flysheet blinds built in.

The inner roof has been boarded out, and trimmed in a beige suede fabric to match the skylight surrounds, with 2 extra warm reading lights.

Excuse the black blob on some of the pictures, something on the camera lens... ?

Alistair

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On to the other electrics and components..

The Ampera Associates Power Integrator comes with a good size display, showing solar input charge in amps, along with van and leisure battery voltages, other leds show alternator/solar inputs. It can also be turned off completely.

The 7 day programmable Eberspacer control unit is tiny in comparison!

12v, 240v and both light switches. Brighter cool light leds are fitted under the top cupboards shining down onto the work top. The far left of the work top also has a 4 way pull out extension from the work top, which sits flush, I use this for the phone chargers, and the induction hob when on hook up, a twin USB port plug in unit on the 12v socket when not on mains. A additional 12 socket is fitted up in the roof area on the side of the top cupboards to power the TV and aerial.

Mains charger, 240v breakers. Can switch between van and leisure battery when on mains, alternator, or solar.

Separate switches for TV and fridge power, along with the led gauge for the underslung lpg tank.

To the right of the switches is the mains power switch for the Truma water heater.

At the rear base of the wardrobe are the leisure batteries. X2 130aH, 260aH total. I'm waiting on some spiral cable wrap to tidy things up.

To the left of the fridge, the red box houses the Truma water heater, which holds 5 litres, and is heated direct from the Eberspacer, heats up surprisingly quickly, or you can use the built in heater if you're on mains hook up.

The fridge is the usual Waeco CR50 compressor fridge with freezer box.

A small 240v microwave, along with storage underneath for the portable loo.

TV mounted on to the door post area with removable bracket, the TV can be slide away from view in its own space to the left of the fridge. With the bracket on the rear of the TV, it's a snug fit, with the side carpeted

Smev hob, sink....

Alistair

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As mentioned earlier, it's been fitted with a underslung water and lpg tank, the lpg filling point is mounted next to the towbar.

The filler for the tank is under the bonnet, neatly hidden without resorting to another hole in the side of the van...?

1 - 20 of 242 Posts