VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Thanks.

Also - where are people getting their correct load index tyre from in these big sizes?

I've just bought (yet to collect) a 2001 2.5 (109) Tdi LWB panel van and want to put some nice wheels and tyres on it.

I;ve read plenty of articlaes about getting the correct ratings for wheels AND tyres, but no definitive info on where from.

Ebay is littered with value bundle offers such as these....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-VW-T4-TRANSPORTER-BBS-LM-DESIGN-GM-POL-D-D-LIP-Y-SPOKE-ALLOYS-TYRES-/280910490634?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=14&meid=307011545988057696&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&

But with a 92 load rating, I can;t see how these would work on my van?

Where are these high load rating tyres available from in bigger 18" sizes and how do I check the wheel rim load rating for what I need and what an alloy may have?

Sorry if these are silly noob questions.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
et45 is ideal
but depending on wheel and application it can vary a bit T:
''

Don`t the bigger 321mm brakes require a different ET? They definately require 16" rims
My ETKA is messing up :(
Just thought I`d throw in that though even though there will not be many of the high end power T4`s in the UK

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
VW have a booklet on wheel/tyres and their load ratings.

As far as I know, the only VW wheels with sufficient official load rating for a T4 are Phaeton. :*

HTH

Pete
Thanks.

Also - where are people getting their correct load index tyre from in these big sizes?

I've just bought (yet to collect) a 2001 2.5 (109) Tdi LWB panel van and want to put some nice wheels and tyres on it.

I;ve read plenty of articlaes about getting the correct ratings for wheels AND tyres, but no definitive info on where from.

Ebay is littered with value bundle offers such as these....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-VW-T4-TRANSPORTER-BBS-LM-DESIGN-GM-POL-D-D-LIP-Y-SPOKE-ALLOYS-TYRES-/280910490634?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=14&meid=307011545988057696&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&

But with a 92 load rating, I can;t see how these would work on my van?

Where are these high load rating tyres available from in bigger 18" sizes and how do I check the wheel rim load rating for what I need and what an alloy may have?

Sorry if these are silly noob questions.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

As far as I know, the only VW wheels with sufficient official load rating for a T4 are Phaeton. :*

HTH

Pete
Thanks.

Do most people running Merc, VW or Audi wheels just hope for the best or make a calculated risk?

·
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks.

Do most people running Merc, VW or Audi wheels just hope for the best or make a calculated risk?
Calculated risk.

My wheels are 17's from a CLK - running fully laden for 5 years - no issues what so ever.

Oh they are soon for sale too !

Going Borbet

·
Registered
3,992 Posts

HTH

Pete
800 vans have quite a good choice of the bigger audi wheels
they also only need a 97 tyre in the later years as a 2.5 so earlier ones and 1.9s could even be less
and the 97 is actually on the tyre guide on a sticker plate on my door pillar

LWB , 1200 etc will require much better loads for tyre and wheels so all T4s will vary a fair bit .

·
Registered
44 Posts
looked at that already... its useful but not totally correct?!?! some of those later ones are 5X120 (touran, golf V, skoda superb etc)

merc steels ive looked for but most are up to 16s. 17s in anything seem rare or as expensive as alloys!

maybe more trawling required....

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Seat Leon MKII.

I have a set of 15" Steel rims with 195 65 91T Snowtrac 3s on them. (from my car).

I've just bought a 1998 T4. I see that 91 is maybe a bit on the low side for the T4 - do you think thy'd be ok?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Do you have info on the ET's and loading limits for any of these wheels? They may all fit physically but will they have the correct ET and will they have suitable load rating limits for day vans, full weight campers or both. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Do you have info on the ET's and loading limits for any of these wheels? They may all fit physically but will they have the correct ET and will they have suitable load rating limits for day vans, full weight campers or both. Cheers.
Exactly
& there is where half the list should go out the window :* Good of U to ask though
On some rims we are able to full actual figures, others we have to rely on comparison figures.

·
Registered
41 Posts
tyre load ratings my t4 swb has 102/106c rated tyres on it so how can a 97 rated tyre compare as surely even a 97xl is still less or is it all just a gamble with load ratings what do your insurance companies think or dont you tell them or dont they ask?

21 - 40 of 59 Posts