VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
tyre load ratings my t4 swb has 102/106c rated tyres on it so how can a 97 rated tyre compare as surely even a 97xl is still less or is it all just a gamble with load ratings what do your insurance companies think or dont you tell them or dont they ask?
No gamble
A lot of vans can run 97 rated tyres with load to spare T:

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I always use this site for calculating:
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

Remember that "-5%" refers to a reduction in diameter, which corresponds to the speedo overreading by the same percentage (i.e. it will show 80 on the dial at 70mph), but you'll also be clocking the same percentage more miles than you're actually doing which is much less attractive.

I got this disastrously wrong when I went for a thinner profile on my V40 tyres last time, and ended up going from 5% over to 10% over... I've only done 22,000 miles but clocked 25k since then! On the plus side I actually get less mpg than my calculations because I'm recording more miles than I actually do. So I pretend it's a good thing :D (also there's the minor plus point that shallower tyres have more rolling resistance and so they arguably corner better)

Speedo on the T4 currently overreads by 10% (with 17" alloys, not sure about the tyre but book says 245/45/17) so as I'm in need of 2 new tyres very soon, I'm going to liaise with my local tyre supplier and see what their calculations come out with.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 1999 t4 1.9 800 and I have been given a set of splitty wheels with the open centre and clips for the moon discs, will these fit ok or am I going too retro

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
So all these wheels will fit my T4? What about load rating etc! I'm new to the forum just got my first T4 yesterday! A:
A piece of cardboard with the right holes will fit, but as you have identified will it have the correct load rating .............. applies to tyres too remember T:

CHECK, CHECK THEN DOUBLE CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY Loads of info just keep reading ;)

41 - 59 of 59 Posts