VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help needed please!

I have a very dark dash display at present - looks rather like I'm suffering from a black-out! The speed and rev numbers / rings are dark, as are the heater controls and all other dials in the centre of the dashboard.

Bizarrely, the red needles on speedo / revs etc. all light up, as do the blue square clock and tachometer displays.

I have pulled out and checked every single fuze, and they all seem to be fine.

1) Does anybody know which fuse number is for the dash lights?
2) Daft question, but where is the rheostat on a T5? I've looked everywhere and previously assumed that I don't have one? I don;t think this would darken the whole dash though.
3) Has anybody got any ideas on how to fix this black-out??

The only think I can think is that while I recently swapped out the whole auto box selector from the dashboard, maybe I blew something when connecting up the new wires that light up the illuminate the gear selection on the auto box? Sounds crazy, but sure the lights were all working before that; maybe just coincidence though.

Help please! :confused:

Thanks, Rob

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
to get to the rheostat remove the panel under the glove box, the bit with the cargo net on and its staring you in the face

issue with dash lights, can you plug the old box back in and see if they work?

Regards

Dan

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Dan - twice in two days!

As for swapping back to the old gear selector box, I have done a bit of a summary of the process in a past post - it was quite complicated to replace the box:

http://www.trailerforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=298398

And, in the end, the electrics in my replacement gear selector box are actually the ones stripped out from my old box, as the "new" ones were faulty when it arrived.

I have had someone suggest that this is most likely to be a "failure of the Siemens control chip in the dash". Not sure what replacing this entails, or whether it is likely to be the answer.

Has anyone had this same problem?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure this will work but it might be a way round the problem - Reprogramming the dashpod for all lights

But the fact you have lost all dash lights - Check the wiring on the back off the light switch as the feed comes from the switch not all T5 have a rheostat to adjust the dash lights
Tobes - wow, that's some serious modding! I'll defniitely have to get that to the garage if we think that'a the way to play this :)

As for the light feed - do you mean check the wiring from the back of the headlight on/off switch to the right of the steering column?

I'll check for a rheostat, which will be interesting to finally locate it, but, as you say, I wonder if that would only effect the speedo/tacho brightness, rather than the brightness of the main dash switches (which are all entirely black).

Rob

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So...no rheostat on mine.

I'm going to get the electrics expert at my garage to look into this. I'm told the whole cluster is LED lit and might need replacing as one. Can't imagine that's the answer yet though, given all lights across the whole dash are still dead.

Driving at night with the interior light on is not the long-term solution!

·
Registered
64 Posts
hello guys if you Founded what wrong with your dash board lights in wrong
I have the some problem
give me bell 07980680816

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had this problem, no dashboard illumination, pulled out the light switch (chrome aftermarket) and refitted, and hey presto it works again. Props to tobes49.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts