VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really confused about the electrical side of things, all I know is that the van has a 240 consumer unit ready for electrics and 12v electrics with split charger from back to the front, so which extension do I need?

·
Registered
11,711 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Somewhere on your van, often behind the fake fog light will be the power inlet which has a blue socket like the ones on the lead in the picture. The lead connects to this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Be sure to get the right lead; your picture shows a yellow cable. Yellow cables are (in my experience) for 110 volt stuff, often found on building sites. The plugs are subtly different so you can't join things that shouldn't be joined. The 'bump' in the casing of the plug and socket where you line the two up is in a different place.

Caravan/campervan "hook-up" leads are usually orange cable with blue plugs & sockets for standard 240ish volt supplies. Campsites have these connections for you to "hook-up" to.

If you want to 'hook-up' your van at home (get the fridge cold, or camp on the driveway) then you'll also need a little adapter lead; has a standard UK household 3-pin plug joined to a 'campervan hook-up' style female socket (the end with the spring-cap on it).
If you travel to europe, unless other actual experts say otherwise from experience, don't bother with the "european adapter". This is the same thing but for plugging into european house-hold sockets. I stayed on sites across belgium and netherlands and they all had the same 'campsite' connections as UK campsites.

hth

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,611 Posts
Be sure to get the right lead; your picture shows a yellow cable. Yellow cables are (in my experience) for 110 volt stuff, often found on building sites. The plugs are subtly different so you can't join things that shouldn't be joined. The 'bump' in the casing of the plug and socket where you line the two up is in a different place.

hth
It's the plug that's yellow, not the cable for 110 V

Blue (240 V) plugs have the "blob" in-line with the earth pin, yellow (110 V) have it offset to between earth and one of the live connections (they have 2 "lives" each at 55 V to earth...not a live and neutral)

Cable colour usually denotes it's temperature range. (I use blue cable in Norway, as it remains flexible down to -20C)

BTW princess, a "stupid question" is a whole load better than a stupid answer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts