VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All Terrains on Standard 15” Rims, can I . :*Can’t I :*... thats without any mods, I just need this tweek as my 1999 2.4 T4 LWB Carping Van doesnt like mud tracks. From what I’ve read I can only go to 215/65 R15 load rated on Standard wheels. All terrains are bigger than this size and i need someone who has found an AT tyre that fits safely within limits and no rubbing etc; without any tweaks, ie I want to keep original rims and want AT tyres that won’t slip without faffing about changing bits. Literally order new set get them fitted, drive on muddy tracks, go carping. Anyone who has a solid foundation to give advice on me tyre issue, look forward to hear from you.:)

·
Registered
238 Posts

I had 205/70/15 Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport tyres on my bus for 5 years on standard rims and can say that they performed well in muddy campsite field.

They did not rub or cause any issues on the bodywork. The only thing is they are only available with a load rating of 96T and you really need a load rating of 103 ish.

Replaced them recently with van rated Falken tyres...... before Or GazM tells me off

!https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/picture.php?albumid=60762&pictureid=455778

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,520 Posts
"Replaced them recently with van rated Falken tyres...... before Or GazM tells me off"

:jmpg

Actually, 96 is not too far off......better than those who are running 92s!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have installed 215 75 R15 General Grabber AT3 100T tyres a few weeks ago. 2000 Caravelle Syncro, no modification and installed on the original steels. No rubbing, although it looks close at the back of the rears, its around 15 - 20mm and doesnt get closer when the van is pulled down. So far have so far worked nicely, still playing with pressures and I think the speedo is either spot on or perhaps it is running 1kph slower than actual road speed.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,520 Posts
Just check the height.
Not certain, but I think the Syncro models had raised suspension.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
It was that tyre size calculator that had me worried before buying them. The size difference is quite significant but very happy with them so far. There were a few others around that had the same tyre, plus a fews Syncros with the BFG alternatives (same size). People said the acceleration would suffer, but I haven't noticed.

Through circumstance I now happen to own 9 steel rims, and 14 tyres in total (5 AT, 5 summer, and 4 Studded winter) - given they are stored up five floors of stairs in a loft space, they are neither useful nor desirable... my back hasn't forgiven me yet.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,520 Posts
Through circumstance I now happen to own 9 steel rims, and 14 tyres in total (5 AT, 5 summer, and 4 Studded winter) - given they are stored up five floors of stairs in a loft space, they are neither useful nor desirable... my back hasn't forgiven me yet.
Typical Swede....
Mine live in the basement...only ONE set of stairs...LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts