VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a set of these alloys which are currently off my van so I can refurb them:

They were sprayed matt black by the previous owner which isn't a look I liked - they just looked dirty all the time.

Last weekend I took Nitromors to one of them with this look in mind:

But once I'd finished (and with wire wool work to come) the first wheel looks like this:

Which, because they seem in good nick got me thinking about just polishing them up and having them silver (with the indented bits black of course). I don't know what I might find on the other alloys though - they may have been sprayed black as a shortcut to hide a multitude of sins.

I don't have the cash at the mo to pay for a professional refurb but it is something I'd consider in the future. What I'd like is people's opinions on please is this:

Should I go through the other wheels stripping and sanding and polishing them to have them silver when it's going to take ages and not be as good as a refurb, but which will probably look classically good or...

Should I just prep them all for a respray (presumably by just roughing the surface etc.) and do them orange like I initially intended with the knowledge that they can always be refurbed at a later date when I have the money - or is this a shortcut too far and I ought to strip them anyway even if I'm just going to spray them?

Thanks in advance for your views. :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
personally, I think colours are always the way to go, makes it stand out. However, if you were going for bright orange, I would suggest you maybe have a little bit of orange on the van elsewhere to match T:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
i would suggest completely stripping them :ILU:

i started to refurb some wheels a while back... were literally sat in mud for years (they are over 40 years old)

bit later they were like this...

worth the effort as you are nealy there T:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Mmmm they are nice what are they off?
too big stud pattern for a T4, too small a wheel to clear T5 calipers, too low an offset, -5 before adaptors to go on a T4...

just for fun held upto a T4 without adaptors... would have to look at getting hubs re-drilled and maybe roll the arches. but at only 7j, gonna put a fair bit of pressure on them with a wide stance :ILU:

oh... and all i'm gonna say is Smokey And The Bandit I:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mr Woodcraft couldn't you do what colese did on his latest set of rims and get some of the material milled off the back of the wheel to sit them under the arches more?

Awesome looking wheels by the way

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Mr Woodcraft couldn't you do what colese did on his latest set of rims and get some of the material milled off the back of the wheel to sit them under the arches more?

Awesome looking wheels by the way
i would prob say no mate...look at the bolt holes,they are only about 6-7mm thick..taking 5mm off of those would leave only 2mm ish to bolt through...too little..plus how wide they are 5mm would not be nearly enough..:ILU:

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
i would prob say no mate...look at the bolt holes,they are only about 6-7mm thick..taking 5mm off of those would leave only 2mm ish to bolt through...too little..plus how wide they are 5mm would not be nearly enough..:ILU:
yep, about 3/4" of magnesium would need taking off :ILU:

they will go on something one day... i didn't pay much so they will keep T:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sooo....

I've wire wooled one of them and Nitromored the other four and, having decided to paint them my mind has turned to colour.

I'd originally gone for orange on the grounds that I could buy it from Halfords easily enough and it would match the odd few orange trim bits I have in the van already. But...it's been a rewarding process cleaning off these wheels and I'd like to have them exactly as I want...

So, anyone know where I could get this colour from?

Either an existing vehicle colour that I could use (Ford? Lambo£££?) or via a company that mixes paint like Dulux does for walls.

I've found companies that do modelling paint mixing but not for alloys. The exact colour Hex is ffcc00.

·
Registered
513 Posts
PAINT!! I'm just waiting to get some new winter tyres then the wire brush and spray cans are coming out. Take it's the same as spraying a van? or will i need special alloy paint?? :ILU:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Oh and the orange looks good. Post a recent pic of your van if you can (that rhymes LOL: )

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot about this thread - more appropriate!

Here we go...

Not A1 but considering how much cheaper they are than a professional job I can cope!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts