VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started a thread on alloys before but im still a little confused:*

I have been looking at the genuine vw alloys but i cant help going back on the bbs ch replicas.

I just dont want to buy alloys that will fail in some way.

Should all alloys come with a weight rated certificate?or is it just down to the tyres?my van is a t5.1,t30.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks , that nails it on the head.

im just curious as you see lots of t5 s with these big range rover replica wheels and surely they dont pay that much attention to the fact of them being weight rated?

thanks

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
As the old adage says "You pays ure money and makes ure choice !" although I can think of a couple of situations that may result of not using the correct rated wheels & tyres that could lead to serious bother:-

1/ If God forbid you were involved in an accident and there was a fatality or injury or serious money was at stake (i.e. write off) I strongly suspect that your insurance companies accident investigators would be all over your van like a rash. If they discover that your running the incorrect wheel & tyre combo for the load being carried by your van then it may give them a get out clause to leave you swinging in the wind. Had a house...not anymore after the courts have stripped you off all assets to pay the 3rd parties losses and court costs!

2/ Driving happily along in your van and get pulled over at a VOSA/Police check point (and it has happened) and they inspect the van and again discover non-compliant wheels and or tyres then I suspect it will be an instant prohibition notice or at the very least a fine and some points on your license.
Your insurance premumums could go up, and then there is the cost of having to swap your wheeels and tyres for the correct rated ones just to comply with the notice, thats if you want to keep your van on the road.:eek:

OK both the above are at the extreme end of the scale and if your one of those people who goes through life and thinks "it will never happen to me" then that's all fine and dandy.....but ask your self why have you got insurance..you have got insurance haven't you ? I:

I believe that most legitimate manufactured wheels of a good quality will have their load rating stamped on the inside of the wheel,and obviously load rated tyres have it on the side walls for all to see. :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
ok thanks , that nails it on the head.

im just curious as you see lots of t5 s with these big range rover replica wheels and surely they dont pay that much attention to the fact of them being weight rated?

thanks
Most choose Range Rover wheels because they are made for the heavyer cars so they should be weight rated i know mine are the ones on the van at mo and the ones i'm selling.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I've got a T30 like you and have also had experience of claiminf off insurance companies in the past so I know what absolute a**e holes they can be. Now when I consider a mod for my van I have to make 100% sure it's not going to cause any issues should I ever have to claim again. I went for Calibre Voyage 20" alloys which are stamped to over 1000kgs on the back each and coupled them up with some 106w rated tyres.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes thanks for that guys.

I know you may have been a little extreme but theres always a possibilty of it happening sadly.:(

I dont want to run that risk to be honest so i think i will stick with the vw alloys,they are a bit expensive but there quality is going to be to a high standard.

thanks for all the advice,and i will have a look at the range rover wheels out of curiosity mate.

thanks againT:

·
Registered
703 Posts
OEM Range Rover wheels come up on Ebay quite often and can be very reasonably priced. I got a set of 19inch RR sport wheels for £200.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
As the old adage says "You pays ure money and makes ure choice !" although I can think of a couple of situations that may result of not using the correct rated wheels & tyres that could lead to serious bother:-

1/ If God forbid you were involved in an accident and there was a fatality or injury or serious money was at stake (i.e. write off) I strongly suspect that your insurance companies accident investigators would be all over your van like a rash. If they discover that your running the incorrect wheel & tyre combo for the load being carried by your van then it may give them a get out clause to leave you swinging in the wind. Had a house...not anymore after the courts have stripped you off all assets to pay the 3rd parties losses and court costs!

2/ Driving happily along in your van and get pulled over at a VOSA/Police check point (and it has happened) and they inspect the van and again discover non-compliant wheels and or tyres then I suspect it will be an instant prohibition notice or at the very least a fine and some points on your license.
Your insurance premumums could go up, and then there is the cost of having to swap your wheeels and tyres for the correct rated ones just to comply with the notice, thats if you want to keep your van on the road.:eek:

OK both the above are at the extreme end of the scale and if your one of those people who goes through life and thinks "it will never happen to me" then that's all fine and dandy.....but ask your self why have you got insurance..you have got insurance haven't you ? I:

I believe that most legitimate manufactured wheels of a good quality will have their load rating stamped on the inside of the wheel,and obviously load rated tyres have it on the side walls for all to see. :)
Effectively happened to me, although I was (trying) to get a couple of hours sleep when two Cheshire Plod decided it was more important to check my van than allow me to get some sleep at Sandbach Services so that I could continue my journey safely - I did start a thread some time ago about this incident & I got flammed for being "on my high horse".
Their inspection included a weight check at the adjacent VOSA inspection facilities - this was in the early hours of the morning - they had access to the weighbridge only, had they had access to the wheeltappers then they would have checked the weight rating of the wheels as well as the tyres which they did check.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Effectively happened to me, although I was (trying) to get a couple of hours sleep when two Cheshire Plod decided it was more important to check my van than allow me to get some sleep at Sandbach Services so that I could continue my journey safely - I did start a thread some time ago about this incident & I got flammed for being "on my high horse".
Their inspection included a weight check at the adjacent VOSA inspection facilities - this was in the early hours of the morning - they had access to the weighbridge only, had they had access to the wheeltappers then they would have checked the weight rating of the wheels as well as the tyres which they did check.
Do you know, it's easy to for some people to forget (including me), that we drive commercial vehicles even though some of use consider them cars.

Food four thought indeed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've have also recently found that my own 18" RS4 replica wheels are not suitable for my T5 174 T30.

If I understand the load rating, the T30 174 requires wheels to be rated at 813KG, my alloys are 675KG. I have now removed them and fitted the OE steels (with winter tyres) as I cant take the risk. :(

Would anybody know what else these wheels I have would fit as I'll need to sell them on? to raise funds for a suitable set in the future... :*

Stamped at 675KG
ET 35
18 x 8J

*<:)> ho ho ho

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes i think it is very important to get the right wheels then.

Not worth the hastle with the police and i agree that we forget that they are comercial vehicles not cars.(best thing i have ever bought tho)T:T:

I have a natural grey kombi so what colour sportline wheels will look best?black or silver?

Thoughts will me very helpfull.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts