VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Alloys advice needed

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Banditben 
#1 ·
Hi All

Im looking at getting some alloys for my van.
My friend as a set of 18inch 5 spoke wheels she took off her focus.
Am i right in thinking that not all alloys are built for a van? And what things should I look out for before using them?

My van is at factory height so will rubbing on anything be an issue?
I hear the ride isnt to good when riding 18's

Thanks in advance for any help

#2 ·
Hi mate the Focus wheels wont fit, the bolt holes wont be the same distance apart. The stud patern that you ned is 5x112. Certain other wheels will fit but you need to have a scout through this section to work it out there are loads of people that will come and help you out. If you get the correct offset on the wheels then they wont catch on the inside. T:

#4 ·
I had a set of 18s on my bus mate and im not kidding you, the ride was terrible. I was only down about 40mm aswell but if i hit the smallest hole in the road it felt like the wheel was going to come through the cab :eek:
16's for me now, they are a LOT wider then the 18's and i have more tyre too and that = a better ride full stop.
Each and everyone to there own though fella but i certainly wont be going back to 18's, thats my 2p :ILU:

#6 ·
How much?

Im not sure if i have standard suspension as mine is so soft. the lean I get is amazing and it does seem to be very high. It used to be owned by a chippy and I cant think why he would want it so soft unless its standard?

The other issue is someone on here was saying certain size wheels can gear up or gear down the van and ut the speedo out of sync?

Cheers

#7 ·
I wouldnt worry about the speedo sync too much, its barely noticable anywayI:
Soft suspension sounds very standard mate, is it like a boat and it makes you sea sick , lol ???
Im taking my aftermarket kit off my bus soon and your more than welcome to that for a reasonable price.
It has uprated shocks x4 and 40mm lowering springs, perfect for 18's if you dont want to go that low :ILU:

#8 ·
I would be interested yes mate sounds good let me know when you pop it off and have a price and i will see what i can do :)
yes well it does feel like a boat and tbh i sh*t myself when i turn it leans so much. (i'm not a fast driver tho)
Makes you wonder will it tip or will it slide??? LOL!!
only had the van just over a week and so many plans for it :) just gotta save :)

#10 ·
Well i was moaning about my suspension earlier saying it felt like i was at sea!

After dropping it off for a standard service today i was expecting something but not a £700 bill!!! Coil springs were fu*ked!

Plus a few other things

So might be a while before i have enough money for any lowering kit and alloys :( still gotta convert the inside too :S

Its a T4 so im sure its all worth it :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.