VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Looking at replacing my suspension and wheels for my 2.0 petrol camper conversion. Was interested getting some 18" alloys with wheel size of 235/45/18 and for the suspension being Eibach springs and bilstein B12 pro kit. Would this combination work and what would the drive be like?

Regards

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
should be fine....

suspension wize would be perfect....

any 18inch wheels though even with slightly bigger tyres dont give to much of a good ride...

17's with bigger sizes give more comfort..

any help,quotes or fitting give me a shout,we do a very succesfull mobile lowering service..

cheers si

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Si, what do you mean 18" doesn't give a good ride? Would it be too hard?

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Cheers Si, what do you mean 18" doesn't give a good ride? Would it be too hard?
just size of wheel....tyre profile and the bad roads...do not make for comfortable rides...17's with bigger 225 50 or 225 55 size make for a better ride...

as a weekend van..i could prob live with it....but if back roads....long drives and daily use is your thing,i would go smaller...

·
Registered
765 Posts
IMHO 18" with good shocks & good tyre depth work just as well as standard.
U may have as much trouble fitting them in. I run 245x40 & have had to cut the lip off the front arch (all depends on offset of course)
Whatever u do, make sure u get load rated ones suitable for your van (particularly being a camper conversion) I made the buy cheep buy twice mistake!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys for the responses. I'm looking at the Tekno TRS 18" that can withhold 1500kg per axle....I'm assuming it means it can hold the weight of a camper.

I would prefer the look of an 18" alloy but want a good ride quality. Should I opt for a 17" with a larger tyre. :*

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to go back onto this subject guys but the alloys I like don't come in 17" :(, with the suspension kit as mentioned with a 45mm drop which size tyre do you think I should have to make the drive as comfortable as possible. I really do like the 18" but may have to sacrifice them for a more comfortable road if needs be! :*

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have 18's on mine, Had 225 40 18's and it was quite harsh. Changed to 245 40 18's and in my opinion its not bad. I live in rural cornwall so roads arent the best!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers for the responses guys, will Defo look at 225/45 or 50 combo. Now what about the best shocks.... I'm scratching my head working what the difference is between the bilstein B4,B6 or B12 shocks accompanied with the Eibach springs? :confused:

I want the ride to be firmer not like a boat! :*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts