VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Could any body tell me if or what engines i could use to replace my 2l AAC petrol 93 T4
im looking for something to match up to my original gear box

thanks for looking

cheers Tony

·
Registered
648 Posts
Lots of options, depending on how much work you want to put in.

Easiest option is probably a 2E or AGG 2l 8v from a Golf GTI/Jetta/Passat. There are some engine mount holes that will need drilling out and tapping and you'll need to do something about the dip stick, otherwise it should be fairly straightforward. Noo Noo did something similar on a 1.8l T4, see here. Biggest question is probably whether to change ECU to one from replacement engine, which will mean adding a MAF and the knock sensors, or sticking with the original one.

Conversion to a 1.9 TDI is possible, although starting with a petrol will mean quite a long shopping list for parts before you start. Lots of people have now put a TDI into their T4s and most are very happy. See here for an idea of what's needed.

The ultimate option is fitting a 20V turbo, but it a LOT of work (needs a fair few bit fabricating, such as engine mounts and exhaust). Have a read of Tonic's tale if you want an idea of the work involved!

Then there's the option of any of the other engines VW did fit to the T4......

Whatever you decide, keep us informed and let us know how you get onT:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
really interesting post, l have an AAC and want to keep the van long term, replacement AAC would be VD to source, so another is only option!

keep exploring and share some ideas!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Easiest option by far is to shove a 8v Golf Gti engine in there from a Mk2 or Mk3. just use your existing sump pan, manifolds, alternator etc. Basically you're just using the block and head. Surprisingly simple to do. You may even be able to swap the dip stick position over. Have a look on the TDi conversion for info on that.

In short all of the VW petrol blocks from that era are essentially the same with slight differences in the internals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi everyone
basically i dont want to change engines
the story so far ihave had a bit of an engine fire
its damaged the injector rail throttle housing and wiring loom
and im having serious problems locating parts
a friend of mine owns a scrapyard and said if i find out what will fit
if hes got one i can have it
as my own engine has only done 90k i would rather repair it
i was looking at different engines to see if there where any generic parts of various donors
as of yet the only one ive found to have the same manifold and injection rail is
2l 8v corado (rockin horse ****) so im still searching
the quest goes on

many thanks for all your help and suggestions

Tony

·
Registered
648 Posts
Parts from an 8v Golf GTI are very similar. If you get the part numbers off vagcat.com and then put a request on here for EKTA help, I'm sure someone will be able to confirm compatibility. From a quick look it seems as if the injector rail and throttle body are probably the same. Your biggest problem might well be the wiring. You could probably cannibalise a GTI loom and splice it into the remains of your old one, but you'll want to be fairly confident with wiring to start pulling the loom to pieces!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts