VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am slowly trying to convert my van when i have the time and money to do so, I would like to buy waeco fridge to put in the back of the van but unforunately cant afford one yet and am just seeing what other people use? Any help or ideas would be great. T:

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I am slowly trying to convert my van when i have the time and money to do so, I would like to buy waeco fridge to put in the back of the van but unforunately cant afford one yet and am just seeing what other people use? Any help or ideas would be great. T:
Just keep saving your money till you can afford it. Waeco is the best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have just got a Waeco cool fun B40 class Hybrid fridge.
Top opening compressor (240v) and absorbtion(12v)
Good price and good feedback.
Top loading keeps cold "in" so you don't let all the cold out everytime you open it needing power to replace cold ..
Shopping round can find them around £189 ish....

Give it a Google ??

·
Trade Member Plus
1,965 Posts
the good thing with a waeco type fridge is that its a 12v compressor fridge so no need for a hole to be cut in the side of the van for the gases to escape etc and if a battery charger is connect to the leisure battery / hook up system its as good as having a 2 way fridge T:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Depending on your conversion ideas/plans you might want to have a look at the vitrifrigo c40L top loading design. I'm going to be getting one for my van soon. They load from the top so you don't loose as much cold air every time you open it, they can also be built in to your units so they are not on show and give a different look to most traditional set-ups. They also give you some freedom with placement due to the design and the detached compressor.

I have had compressor only fridges in vans before running off a leisure battery and it has always worked great and as others have said, no need for venting etc if you are not using gas which is a plus.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How about if you are rough camping for a couple of days ,won't a 12v only fridge flatten the battery?also, about the top entry fridges do they have separate compartments so you don't have to empty it to get something at the bottom?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not at all, the key is to make sure you get a compressor 12v fridge, the one I had in my old van did 5 days at a campsite in France in hot weather without driving the van and giving it a top-up.

Most good top loaders have separate compartments, even if they don't, it's very easy to get what you need, camping fridges can't hold a great deal so it's not like you have loads to search through. The vitrifrigo even has a small ice compartment which can also be used for ice creams and the like!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are thinking about fitting a fridge but only want a front opening 12v & 240v no gas, what about other makes such as Icecap & Homark, seen these makes on the internet, anyone used them? Certainly cheaper than waeco etc.,

·
Registered
342 Posts
We are thinking about fitting a fridge but only want a front opening 12v & 240v no gas, what about other makes such as Icecap & Homark, seen these makes on the internet, anyone used them? Certainly cheaper than waeco etc.,
I dont think they are compressor fridges so they are just glorified cool boxes.

this looks ok for the money;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-Motorhome-Leisure-3-Way-Absorption-fridge-New-/150738392514?hash=item2318b555c2:g:AdQAAOSwQItT4Qbn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you Mr bland, I had a look & a good price , our trouble is that the 3 way with gas is too big for our camper, maybe we will just have to have the cool box sort, & just hope they are OK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help, I have been looking at different ideas and fridges, I am going to save a little bit more money and see if there are any offers in the sales! T:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Icey-tek cool box? Or a yeti if you're feeling flush?

https://www.coolboxesuk.com

Had the van 6 years, many trips and lived in it for 3 months in Scandinavia, we just use our Icey-Tek (keeps cold for 4 days if the outside temperature isn't tropical) and we freeze blocks in campsites, cafes, bars etc. Or buy a bag of ice from a supermarket if we're really stuck for freezing...

Works for us as we can move it around the van to suit what we're using the space for and it was cheap (compared to a fridge).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts