VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Previously my t5.1 SWB day van had been carpeted inside and the original roof panels used and also carpeted, long story short they went all saggy and looked horrible.

I am intending to replace with a one-piece roof lining as its all a bit experimental as yet I need to get a decent prototype put together to test and fit before claiming I have reinvented the wheel.

Can somebody tell me the overall length of a finished single piece ply roof lining board to allow for fitting to the cab headlining with the factory supplied cross strip.

Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the size of a standard 8ft by 4ft sheet of ply you will need to buy a special order 10ftx5ft sheet to do a one piece roof
Thanks PDUK I am not making out of ply I am experimenting with another material and the question isn't probably very clear now I read it back, I would like to know if anybody knows the total length of a finished one piece ply roof lining once it's ready for fitting not before its made Hope that makes some more sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks PDUK I am not making out of ply I am experimenting with another material and the question isn't probably very clear now I read it back, I would like to know if anybody knows the total length of a finished one piece ply roof lining once it's ready for fitting not before its made Hope that makes some more sense.
Thanks Stuart

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ours is a single piece and I'm trying to remember what the dimensions were, not much help I know.
Don't quote me but I think it was 2665mm in length. I did add a section to the cab headliner too so it blends in and makes the van look even longer.
edit scratch that, ours is a lwb sorry.

Can't find a finished photo. But I did cover this front section in the same material as the rear.

Added a couple of custom details. Very fiddly to hide all the fixings that go through the original headlining but worth it and no chance of it falling down or shifting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why don't you just measure your existing roof lining ?? :unsure:
Allowances need to be made for the two jointing strips to get the factory fixing points in the right place changing two pieces of lining plus liners for a single unit and I need also to allow for the altered cab headlining which means an addition to the length. I am just double-checking calculations, to be honest, measure three times and cut once that sort of thing. Its sorted now the measurement for standard SWB CNC cut roof lining is 2135 mm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ours is a single piece and I'm trying to remember what the dimensions were, not much help I know.
Don't quote me but I think it was 2665mm in length. I did add a section to the cab headliner too so it blends in and makes the van look even longer.
edit scratch that, ours is a lwb sorry.

View attachment 181204
Can't find a finished photo. But I did cover this front section in the same material as the rear.
View attachment 181205
Added a couple of custom details. Very fiddly to hide all the fixings that go through the original headlining but worth it and no chance of it falling down or shifting.
Thanks, Jon much appreciated but I have sorted now the answer for an SWB standard is 2135 mm just in case anyone has the same question in a few years time.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
What fixings are you planning on using ?
Making the roof lining in one piece is made more awkward by the slightly concave shape of the original .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What fixings are you planning on using ?
Making the roof lining in one piece is made more awkward by the slightly concave shape of the original .
I am planning on using a conversion company alternative I do not need them hidden just looking ok. From Galant Camper Solutions I think.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I decided to screw our roof lining up too. More secure and, in a crash, no chance of it coming down and taking someone's head off.
The flat screw heads are blended in by using plastic screw covers in a similar colour to the headlining.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts