VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im on the hunt for an alternative to an awning and just wondering if anyones got any pics of what their using we normally use a small utility tent to keep stuff in and sit around in but im looking for something now with a bedroom area but im finding it really hard to find a decent tent with good head height in the living area but with no fitted groundsheet (just don't want one). I've been down the awning route before and tried the go outdoors porch thing but I just don't want anything attached to the van, I no im weird. So just wondering if any of you are using anything a little different?T:

·
aka GriffithstownT4
906 Posts
i cant remember what make it is, i thinks its a vango tent....

but its a dome thing with quite a big porch which we use as a seating area, fits our fold up 4 seater bench/picnic table thingy, room to stand up, can have one or two bedrooms.
No groundsheet unless you buy the additional one to fit yourself. Works very well for us. The kids sleep in that and at night you can just tie the porch over the roof along with a few windbreaks all very good.

I'll try and find the model of the tent but its very spacious.

If you want to sell your go outdoors porch give me a shout ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like the sort of thing im looking for do have any photos, as for the porch I've already sold it I have a spare zip on front section for one of the zenobia porches which I was going to get attached to the back of the porch so it would be a drive away.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ive got a 1980s Conway trailer tent. Its in suprisingly mint condition, sleeps 4 in two double seperate bed spaces and has a massive living area, I once parked a 306 in it : )
Cost £350 and has cooker grill and sink.
ll post up a pic later

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey guys im on the hunt for an alternative to an awning and just wondering if anyones got any pics of what their using we normally use a small utility tent to keep stuff in and sit around in but im looking for something now with a bedroom area but im finding it really hard to find a decent tent with good head height in the living area but with no fitted groundsheet (just don't want one). I've been down the awning route before and tried the go outdoors porch thing but I just don't want anything attached to the van, I no im weird. So just wondering if any of you are using anything a little different?T:
We have just embarked on the quechua second base xl route. Free standing, can hook up small tents to it and it provides a central area. Look at decathlon.co.uk and you will see the tent.

http://tente.quechua.com/de/zelte/r-9,a-48,sejour-base-seconds-full.html

This one is the one you can attach other little tents to

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
love these tents a bit different from the norm but I want something without a groundsheet in the living area.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Have you thought of a pop-up gazebo and add a generic bedroom unit ( from any tent )

you can have the side panels in the gazebo, open them up if needed, its free standing

we used to have one when we went for a weekend in the splitty, it was up and set-up in 10 mins aswell

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am going to drive south this year for the first time in the van and when hot i think a full size awning fixed to the van other than taking sweat blood and tears and too long to put up will be too hot so I found this from Coleman pop up only takes a minute. Plan to put a wind break around as well ,will let you know how get on ,only pic could find on net but mine has not got a built in groundsheet?http://r1.coleman.com/ProductImages/Full/2000004415_500.jpg

·
aka GriffithstownT4
906 Posts
sounds like the sort of thing im looking for do have any photos, as for the porch I've already sold it I have a spare zip on front section for one of the zenobia porches which I was going to get attached to the back of the porch so it would be a drive away.
i'll try and dig it out of the garage and get a model number off it T:

·
Registered
273 Posts
We used to camp in something like this http://www.tesco.com/direct/4-person-twin-dome-family-tent/424-2116.prd?pageLevel=

It didn't have a ground sheet in the porch area and the bedroom just clipped inside when you needed it. Thinks its still in the loft somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out and send you some photos if you want?

Our model is a Zeqq 4 man. Found it in the loft so let me know if you want some pics? I've found one on my PC but it's only really an external shot.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The old school Khyam Ridgidome tents are pretty cool for this. Some of them have opening each side (as yopu can add bedrooms to them) so you could roll up one side to park the van next to if you so need it, and still have the other end for access.

I'm in the same boat - sick n tired of the whole clip/unlcip fiasco and gen never get the gusset stright (yes, I kno, sounds rude don't it)... in fact, I'm sick n tired of the whole putting an awning up/taking it down thing altogether.... so just bought an Eriba instead... simpled, turn up, legs down... done!:D

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
love these tents a bit different from the norm but I want something without a groundsheet in the living area.
The Quechua base seconds XL does come with a groundsheet - but you don't have to use it, its a separate item from the main tent, unlike some tents where it's all-in-one. I've left it off when on a campsite that was fussy about their grass, and just had a doormat by the van door.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts