VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have heard the need to change the alternator brushes on these beasts is a comon issue. Has anyone done it and can anyone give me advice on how to do it? And btw yes my alternator is not charging, I have checked this already with the voltmeter seeing as the light was flashing at me.

I have watched the video on you tube already and my alternator is completely different. The only plug is at the top of the alternator not the bottom. I have removed the outer casing and there is another plastic cover inside. I assume I need to get this off but it will take the plug connector off with it. Is this right? Oh its a v reg 2.5tdi swb if that helps.

I am trying to do everything myself so I can learn what I am doing and not have to spend a bomb on the van.

Thanks
Chris :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mines worn aswell so it was ficking the belt off so I got some 11mm tube from b&q drilled the holes with a 11mm drill bit the heated it up with the hot airgun and put the tube in it and let it coole down and ts like brand new

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud but I thiknn we have different issues here. My belt doesnt come off but the van isnt charging and the battery light is on. Anyone know how to get into the alternator to change the brushes? I have seen the vid on youtube and my alternator is a later style so not as easy to get into the brushes. I have taken the plastic backing off and before I remocve the next plastic bit I wondered if anyone else had done it and knew what to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts