VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charging light on and battery going flat? It might be as simple as this repair....new brushes and regulator, easy to fix and only £16 ...no need to remove the alternator either! ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XKylinWDXo

My mate has just changed the brushes on a alternator on a T4 and took a video of it, so thought I'd post it up on here:

Its even got commentary as well! T:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Very interesting mine has just shown the same symptons but how did he get at the alternator, does the grill need to come off?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have done this on my 95 2.4d. Just remove the engine undertray if you have one and I could get at it from underneath. Was pretty simple after seeing new regulator and brushes next to old one. Only cost £16 too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All:

So I eventually got the top off the alternator, and have a part number to search for.

It looks like I can get a Bosch one for £40-50, or a pattern one as cheap as £12.

So whats the difference??? Is the Bosch 3 times as good?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all
Have also just ordered new relay and brush set, £8.99 plus P&P ( I simply googled Bosch 1197311223) managed to get the cover off the back of the alternator, but first had to get the alternator out. I had soaked the cover screws in penetrating oil earlier in the week, but just could not shift them without getting the alternator off. Whilst trying to get hem off two of the screws were snapped off (very rusty) so will need to get the old ones out before refitting, will let you know how it goes once the new part arrives, just like to thank novo for putting the video link in, very informative.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have now fitted new relay & brush set, unfortunately it has not solved the problem, battery light still alight, also having major problems starting, is there a way to check out put directly from the alternator?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot I posted the video up on here! Glad it has helped out a few of you. T:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi,

Have the same problem on my t4 2.4D 1991 but as my van swings oil from top to bottom the alternator has had its load.
Took it off for cleaning, but cant unscrew the long screws that hold the alternator closed, there rusted in. Managed to get one out.
Where could i find new ones? I geuss iff im very patient i could unscrew them all but not replacing the screws would be a stupid move.

The shop where i bought my brushes warned me iff the copper rotating thing connected to the brushes (dont know name in English) is worn out the brushes could go real fast and youlle have the same problem again.

GReetz

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,
I've just come across this thread whilst looking for a how to regarding fitting an alternator on a 2.5 tdi 2003 model. I'm having a bit of trouble finding the tensioning bolt for the belt, Last time I fitted a unit was 20 years ago and involve using a bar and the fastening bolt was on the actual alternator, but Ive been told that there should be an automatic tensioner on the van somewhere.
Any ideas please?
Simon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts