VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 VW T5 1.9.

My alternator stopped working so I replaced it, which if anybody has done it, they will appreciate what I went through trying to get the alternator out and back into the tight space where it lives without stripping all the radiator out (should have just stripped it to avoid the cuts, pinches and bruises!!)

Anyway, after replacing the alternator, everything is fine with the charging system, but now after about 5 minutes with the van running, the ASR light illuminates on my dash. It doesn't seem to affect anything, the van drives fine, and if I switch the van off and back on, it resets until another 5 minutes has elapsed.

I don't need to drive the van to make this happen, even if I just start it and leave it still, it lights up the same. No other lights are on and there's no codes in the ECU.

I remember reading somewhere ages ago when I had the gearbox out on my drive, that there is a wire from the alternator which runs around by the gearbox that sometimes breaks and causes ASR / Traction Control issues.
Just asking if anybody can confirm this or has any other suggestions of what it might be or where to start looking, before I start stripping bits off the van in search of a wire that I may have broken while changing my alternator. The wires right by the alternator are all fine, I've already checked them, but can't see round by the gearbox without getting the van up in the air and removing stuff.

Many thanks in advance for any help. T:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you using to read fault codes? An ASR/TCS fault should cause fault codes to be logged in the ABS controller, not the ECU.
Thanks for responding to my post :)

I've got a cheap hand-held code reader that reads codes from most cars with OBD/OBD II sockets. It can clear a few things too but it's not great to honest.

What do I need to access the codes from the ABS controller?

·
Special Rapporteur
8,711 Posts
Fault codes from things like ABS controllers are not included within the OBD standards, as they were designed primarily for emissions control problems.

You would need a VAG-specific code reader or something like VCDS.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah right, okay mate. I'll see if I can get hold of a VCDS to check properly then before I start stripping the front off to get to the wiring.
I didn't realise you couldn't read all the codes without a VAG specific reader.

Cheers for your help. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had a quick look on Google at VCDS tools, and there's loads of links to eBay with items available from 99p through to hundreds of pounds!
Is there any which are known to be better than others, or are all the cheap things for sale a load of old and I need to spend £500+ if I want my own VCDS?

·
Special Rapporteur
8,711 Posts
There is only one company that makes VCDS, and that's Ross-Tech.

If you go onto their website you can find UK dealers, and you can also download a Lite version of their product - though I confess I have never tried that, as it's limited in terms of which vehicles it will work with.

Anything sold under the name VCDS on Ebay (and elsewhere) by anyone other than a Ross-Tech dealer will be a fake - usually based on a cracked older version of the software. You can usually spot these, as generally they will say that you must not download software updates (because if you do the software will stop working).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Watching this with interest, as my ASR light comes on after 10 minutes. Reset ignition, and on again after 10.

Now, i know this is no biggie, as it's pure traction control, and not an ABS problem, just to prevent wheelspin (which on a 1.9td isn't an issue).

But, the answers to the OP don't point to the problem, they just diverse into which reader to read the codes with.

If it helps, I had mine plugged in to the Snap on reader at my local, and it couldn't even get a response from the traction control circuitry. So it would help if somebody else has had and diagnosed this problem previously.

Watching.....

·
Special Rapporteur
8,711 Posts
Now, i know this is no biggie, as it's pure traction control, and not an ABS problem, just to prevent wheelspin (which on a 1.9td isn't an issue).
Except that both ASR and ABS functions are carried out by the same controller - the ABS controller. If the ASR light is on then the ABS controller is reporting an issue.

But, the answers to the OP don't point to the problem, they just diverse into which reader to read the codes with.
It does, but the point is a valid one - unless you are using a diagnostic tool capable of reading VAG diagnostic data, you aren't going to find out what the ABS controller thinks the problem is.

If it helps, I had mine plugged in to the Snap on reader at my local, and it couldn't even get a response from the traction control circuitry. So it would help if somebody else has had and diagnosed this problem previously.
Assuming that you've ruled out the obvious - i.e. that there is a mismatch in tyre circumference somewhere - the symptom that jumps out is "no communications". This is a classic symptom of the start of ABS controller failure, with the controller failing to communicate over the CAN network.

If you look back through the previous ABS controller failure threads, one of the things reported is that the failure comes on gradually, with lesser signs before you get the fuill "disco dash" symptoms.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A correct diagnostic check is definitely worth doing.

So far I haven't got to scan my van with a VAG COM because I've been too busy, but I work with the motor trade and have been speaking to a mechanic I know that will check the van for me once I get the time to visit him with it.

He tells me the same story about the ABS controller starting to fail, but also that he has encountered another VW that had just had the alternator changed and then immediately had the exact same fault as mine, the ASR light coming on 10 minutes after starting the van. It turned out for that vehicle that one of the wires coming from the alternator gives a signal to the ECU for the ABS/ASR, and when the codes were read they found the following errors: (this was emailed to me, I can't explain anything about it)

17911 - Load Signal from Alternator Term. DF: Implausible Signal
P1503 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0
01117 - Generator Terminal DF Load Signal
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

The wire was traced back into the loom up by the gearbox and repaired which cured the problem.

As I changed my alternator and then this fault started, I'm hoping to find the same problem, but as has been pointed out, it could be a bigger problem.

I'll be looking into things over the next week or so, and will post up the outcome.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,711 Posts
Unfortunately the Alternator load signal is a common one, and I'm not sure you should read much into it. Our 2006 2.5l Kombi regularly pops up this fault code, but has done so for 2 years now, and it has never had any ASR/ABS issues:

Code:
Address 09: Cent. Elect.        Labels: 7H0-937-049.lbl
   Part No: 7H0 937 049 Q
   Component: BORDNETZ SGVER 1.0  1901  
   Coding: 0000101
   Shop #: WSC 02737 785 00200
   VCID: 408FAF4A109248212EF-5124

1 Fault Found:
01117 - Generator Terminal DF Load Signal 
            008 - Implausible Signal
There have been several threads here about it, and I think it's unlikely to be related to the ASR light coming on. It's a fault code generated by Central Electronics, not the ABS controller.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Except that both ASR and ABS functions are carried out by the same controller - the ABS controller. If the ASR light is on then the ABS controller is reporting an issue.

It does, but the point is a valid one - unless you are using a diagnostic tool capable of reading VAG diagnostic data, you aren't going to find out what the ABS controller thinks the problem is.

Assuming that you've ruled out the obvious - i.e. that there is a mismatch in tyre circumference somewhere - the symptom that jumps out is "no communications". This is a classic symptom of the start of ABS controller failure, with the controller failing to communicate over the CAN network.

If you look back through the previous ABS controller failure threads, one of the things reported is that the failure comes on gradually, with lesser signs before you get the fuill "disco dash" symptoms.
A great and thorough answer - thank you. I'm just very reluctant and wary of getting £5-800 into this, and not getting a solution.

I've had the disco lights dash, - it's almost been like pot luck which selection of lamps are going to stay on and beep at you. Currently though, it's just the traction one - which sneaks on 10 minutes from switch on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 VW T5 1.9.

My alternator stopped working so I replaced it, which if anybody has done it, they will appreciate what I went through trying to get the alternator out and back into the tight space where it lives without stripping all the radiator out (should have just stripped it to avoid the cuts, pinches and bruises!!)

Anyway, after replacing the alternator, everything is fine with the charging system, but now after about 5 minutes with the van running, the ASR light illuminates on my dash. It doesn't seem to affect anything, the van drives fine, and if I switch the van off and back on, it resets until another 5 minutes has elapsed.

I don't need to drive the van to make this happen, even if I just start it and leave it still, it lights up the same. No other lights are on and there's no codes in the ECU.

I remember reading somewhere ages ago when I had the gearbox out on my drive, that there is a wire from the alternator which runs around by the gearbox that sometimes breaks and causes ASR / Traction Control issues.
Just asking if anybody can confirm this or has any other suggestions of what it might be or where to start looking before I start stripping bits off the van in search of a wire that I may have broken while changing my alternator. The wires right by the alternator are all fine, I've already checked them, but can't see round by the gearbox without getting the van up in the air and removing stuff.

Many thanks in advance for any help. T:
Hey I have the exacted same problem as this, with T5 1.9 TDI 05. I change the Alternator and battery, (used bosch and VW battery) ASR light/traction control light appears on the dash after 10 mins of driving. disappears after the restart. and reappears after 10 mins

I'm reading it could be a bad wire to fuse box or Gearbox/differential or ABS sensor I would assume the ABS light would come on if it was ABS Sensor. I'm leaning towards bad wiring .

Anyone who has any solution or helpful advice about this problem I would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi mate, yes I managed to fix mine. It turned out that the new alternator that was fitted was actually faulty.

The alternator has a small wire attached at the plug that is nothing to do with the charging system, it’s a signal wire to the ASR circuit. On mine I thought I had damaged the wire changing the alternator so I stripped it all down again and checked the wire but it was fine. So I took the alternator off and had it checked and they found that even though it was brand new, the sensor was faulty. I had it replaced, refitted it and haven’t had a problem since.

Hope that helps. Alan.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The DF wire goes from the alternator up to the ebox under the bonnet and then on to the J519 onboard voltage control unit behind the dash. VCDS looks at the J519 under 'Cent Elec'.

I think there could be several different causes for the so called 'disco lights'. When the ABS ECU fails it causes the ABS/ASR/ESP lights to come on but often accompanied by other dash problems like wildly fluctuating needles etc. Also, scan tools won't usually communicate with the ABS.

If the ABS/ASR/ESP lights only come on after 5 or 10 minutes (especially after fitting a new alternator) and there are no other dash problems then I think the lights are coming on as the result of some aspect of the voltage being supplied. I think the ABS system will be disabled for safety if the ECU thinks the voltage supply is not normal. You would need VCDS to check all the controllers as a start point.

I'm quite interested in this subject because I had some strange problems with mine a while back plus the DF fault code Triffic mentions which I have (sort of!) got to the bottom of by a workaround.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys I would like to add a post on the asr light alternator change I my self have experience asr light issues I change my alternator today I put a 120 amps o on thought happy days all sorted got 10 mins down the road asr light came on I stoped turned my van off the light went off but another 10 mins on my way back home light come on again long story short done some internet sercing and found I put the Wong amps on there so out it comes again and swoped it for a 90 amps put all back together it's been 12hrs driving and the asr light issues has gone my head is that vwt5 only likes to have 90 amps and not 120 done some research and what I have found out is there is to much dp/to much currant going to the ecu what tell tells the ecu there is a falt with the asr/so if your going to change your alternator bear in mined to get the right amps otherwise you mite have the same problem that I had

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have Exactly the same problem. My ESP light comes on after around 10 minutes of running and i have been looking for a reason for a few months now.

I bought the van with the fault on it, if you extract the DTC from the ESP module it tells you to check main eco fault codes.

Check main engine control module it gives an alternator load feedback problem

Funny thing is after reading this thread, i looked at the receipt from ECP to find out what rating Alternator was fitted to the Van.

This can't be a coincidence as it was a 140 Amp type and not the 90 Amp that's been recommended in the thread

I can afford to change the Alternator at the moment as it is still charging, but will change it when i have the time and funds

great post guys and thank you for the help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi mate, yes I managed to fix mine. It turned out that the new alternator that was fitted was actually faulty.

The alternator has a small wire attached at the plug that is nothing to do with the charging system, it’s a signal wire to the ASR circuit. On mine I thought I had damaged the wire changing the alternator so I stripped it all down again and checked the wire but it was fine. So I took the alternator off and had it checked and they found that even though it was brand new, the sensor was faulty. I had it replaced, refitted it and haven’t had a problem since.

Hope that helps. Alan.
Hello, i dont suppose you remember the wire colour? my van is in the garage at this very moment with this issue. thank you in advance of your answer. Adrian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts