VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the customary fixed battery light and flashing oil light on the dash that all t4s seem to go through. Instead of replacing alternator I've replaced the regulator (thanks to vw heritage who were the only ones with the right regulator!) but this didn't solve the problem. Started to have look around the wiring and suddenly realised that one of the wires going into the alternator connector was stripped down with threads of the wire hanging off!

It's too close to the connector to strip it back and re join it so need a new connector.

Anyone know where these can be found or have an alternative? A full new wiring loom for the alternator would be a good option.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had the customary fixed battery light and flashing oil light on the dash that all t4s seem to go through. Instead of replacing alternator I've replaced the regulator (thanks to vw heritage who were the only ones with the right regulator!) but this didn't solve the problem. Started to have look around the wiring and suddenly realised that one of the wires going into the alternator connector was stripped down with threads of the wire hanging off!

It's too close to the connector to strip it back and re join it so need a new connector.

Anyone know where these can be found or have an alternative? A full new wiring loom for the alternator would be a good option.

Would second this enquiry, i have exactly the same problem and am trying to chase down some replacements.

found a replacement loom on egay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400281738648?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648 - but only really need the plugs!

Anyone?

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I had the same issue with alternator connector cables braking of short. I decided to give it a go at repairing this. I removed both connectors and pulled them back to the 2 pin connector on top of the gearbox. I then removed the c clip and rubber in side the first conect or as per pic, cut off the back of the connector. Take care here as you want to leave a bit of wire intake to pull on. With long nose pliers then carefully pull the wire out. This will reveal the spade but that can now be re-wired. I solderd my wires straight to the spade bits instead of trying to remove and recrimp the wire. On the two pin side I just cut the wire at about inch and half and resolderd the new wire on. All you need to do then is to puch the spade back into the holder taking care you don't puch to hard and re dit the rubber and c clip. Put some tape over the back of the connector to stop water penetration( not great but better than nothing) Follow the same steps with the two pin connector exempt there is no c clip it's a big clip that sits over the front of spade. I got a photo but struggling to load it,

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is the single wire connection for the alternator. there is a four wire one on the coolant temp sensor i need and also the two wire one on the alternator. Be nice to get my hands on them, i did order them from vw direct but they a 2 and 4 wire square plug after i said it needs to be the d-shape ones!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts