VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

The alternator on my 1995 T4 2.4 litre diesel has eventually died so I ordered another one from 'VW Audi Spares'. I checked the type of belt before ordering (multi groove) and was told that there was only one multi groove belted alternator that it could be. The garage have now taken off the old alternator and found that it is 120 amps - and the replacement one is only 90 amps!

Having searched for alternator types on sites such as :

http://www.autopartstrader.co.uk/carparts/volkswagen/transporter/alternator

....I can't find any reference to a 2.4 litre diesel having a 120 amp alternator. Could it be that mine has had a different type of alternator installed? Would this work? Is it possible? I'm not sure if the VW Audi spares will take their alternator back, I'm thinking of getting the old alternator repaired, and I'm currently vanless.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just spoke to VW Audi Spares who say that it shouldn't matter that the new alternator is 90 amp. I'm not at all sure that's true - if it only needs a 90 amp, why does it have a 120 amp fitted - they've now said they're going to check. Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(I'll keep posting in case it helps a future user!)

I've been assured that 120 amps is overkill and that 90 will easily suffice on my van. I've instructed the garage to put the 90 amp alternator on the van as it's cheaper than fixing the old one. And I'm not sure if the ppl I bought the 2nd hand one from would take it back. I now have a spare 120 amp in need of a recon. (FYI The auto electrician reckoned on £40ish for parts for the alternator refurb and 'not much' costs. )

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
If it is a standard 2.4 I am sure that they are 90amp, however if at any time it had a tail lift disabled lift was modified as a breakdown vehicle then they would have upgraded the alternator.
if you don't have any of these things fitted don't worry about it 90 amps is more than enough

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don't think you need to worry, I've just changed mine with the pukka VW 90amp version but noticed that the old one coming off was only rated at 70amp. I'm pretty sure that the rating is max capacity so the battery will only take what it needs - someone may disagree with this though!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i had a right mare with mine as there are 11 to choose from for a 2.4 1993 as a quick fix i put on a 65amp one from a mk2 golf iirc and it worked fine i bought a new one eventually thats a 90 amp and its been fine my dash light comes on very faintly untill i use something but think thats another problem all together all i had to do with the new one was change the pulley over as i have the toothed belt,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts