VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

As suspected, the alternator on my T4, is on it's way out. It has never been in tip top condition since I bought the van, only outputting around 12.4v or so. I've been advised that it could do with replaceing, as they should be up around 14v when the engine is running.

So, I have a couple of questions. Firstly, is it possible to adjust the voltage output on an alternator? Secondly, how much should I be budgeting for a new alternator? I'm running a 120Ah leisure battery via a split charge system, so it could do with being a beefy one, if such a thing exists.

Finally, if it does need replacing, how easy is the job to DIY? I know the right end of a socket set from the wrong one, but I've never changed an alternator before...

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
T4 2 Ltr AAC one of the first RHD off the production line 1991
110 Posts
Andy Hi,

Just doing exactly the same and running a similar set up, I have posted a previous thread? You don't say what your engine is, so might be slightly different.

You can't usually adjust the voltage from an alternator regulator.

My alternator had just expired and is the original bosch 65 amp, I contemplated upgrading aswell and
Found euro parts had a 90 amp for around £100.00 and the 65 for around £80.00, although eBay sellers have remanufactured ones for around £50. Whether thee bays are properly refurbished I am not too sure and really wouldn't want to spend £50 on something I am not sure of.

In the end I opted for Martyn's advice from Upspex and decided to replace the brush and regulator pack, have got to this from the top of the engine and took less than 2 minutes to get off and as we speak I am waiting for Lee at Weals to ring and say the replacement has arrived. I do reckon he is chatting up the girl from the florist instead though!!!!!!

Diode and brush pack is around £14-£17

Mine is the 2.00 L petrol AAC engine, if your still stuck I will email you some pics.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris,

I've got a 2.5tdi engine (102bhp) of 2003 vintage.

If I have understood you correctly, you can just replace the brushes and regulator section of the alternator? I'm tempted to give that a go if it is going to be less than £20 to try it out.

Andy

·
Registered
969 Posts
I had a very similar situation recently.

The mechanic I took it to said I can have a genuine replacement for around £280 (I think), or a replica for around £240. OR... he would refurbish the one I have, replacing the brushes etc. The part was cheap (just like the person above has said) and I don't know how much labour he charged but it was around £70 to have it refurbished, and replaced, delivered back to my doorstep.

Apparently, if it is just the brushes etc that have gone... once replaced it shouldn't go again. They're known for being pretty robust!

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Hi

Yes you can usually replace the regulator which holds the brushes on most alternators and if your lucky it will be a simple 2 screws on the back of the alternator to change the part.

All you need to do to try to identify the part required is to try to see either a OE number on the alternator or a number on the regulator to obtain a direct replacement part.

If you can find a number then try this link to check availability of parts http://www.hc-cargo.com/Default.aspx?ID=28 and just type any numbers you have found into the search box :)

Holger Christianson UK sell almost every part for every alternator made so hopefully you will find what you are looking for.

Mick

·
Registered
T4 2 Ltr AAC one of the first RHD off the production line 1991
110 Posts
Guys,

I can thoroughly recommend Fastline fore early Northampton diesel and electrics! they know what they are talking about, posted out the brush pack by return and including postage of £2.50 it was only £13.80.

Customer service was excellent and advice really helpful. Speak to Pete

01536 485584

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts