VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola me again, been volt meter testing my squealing alternator earlier after dim lights (since fixed)... not sure on readings. I read a steady 14.28ish on idle at battery. With everything on, and I mean everything (Caravelle so that's all rear blowers/lights too), 12.1v'ish. Seems a bit low. Anyone reckon changing the belt is likely to be enough to give it the extra few v, it needs doing and squeals like mad, or am I dreaming and should I change it soon/get an updated alternator?

Ta

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Caravelles usually had the bigger alternator fitted.
At idle, it won't be supplying much current anyway...you need around 2000rpm for it to work properly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Caravelles usually had the bigger alternator fitted.
At idle, it won't be supplying much current anyway...you need around 2000rpm for it to work properly.
Ya know what, I went out earlier, tried again at idle, stereo and lights, still 14.2. Haven't checked since I got back but seems like no drain at all, van is sound. LIghts, heater, stereo, etc, still no noticable drain. Doing the alt belt on Sat, along with glow plugs, so it should be a different van.

Ignition switch not springing back was the issue it seems...start button fitted to bypass it, awful job...who knew a loop of metal could cause so much aggro. Fuel pump cut out and stranded me on the journey back Hampshire->Cornwall for an extra night, dim main beam all the way home - as bumps made the key move clockwise a weeny bit. Too far over position 2! duh. Will soldier on til Sat and do belt :D

EDIT: I do think it's got the Hella 90 amp alternator, so a 120 is probably a good idea on pay day :) Cheers mate good spot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update - found a diesel leak from pump that was covering alternator with diesel. Seemingly survived, O ring replacement needed before road trip next week!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts