VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only ask as i didnt foil line my van, i did however pack it full of recycled bottle top insulation.

Just wondering if it really would have actually make much difference anyway?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well the reason i didnt go for the recycled bottle stuff is that it resembles ordinary household insulation which could hold damp or saturate with condensation causing more rust than i already have lol. Used the foil from B&Q and it works great £26 done the whole van. :ILU:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I think the foil bubble wrap is great. Got six layers on my roof and no heat comes through even with a matt black lid!!!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I think the foil bubble wrap is great. Got six layers on my roof and no heat comes through even with a matt black lid!!!
Ditto - I've only insulated my roof and that was just to stop the heat coming through. I used windscreen reflective screens from lidl. Just double layer but it's worked - it's massively cut down the heat transmitted in so should do the same the other way.

My floor was already wood lined and I lined my walls with 1/2" think ply - no insulation. I sleep in the van and I didn't want areas where condensation can get trapped and sit, I like the walls (& arches) to be able to breath. If it gets cold in there I turn on the eber!:D:ILU:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ideally you would use the recycled bottle insulation and then seal it with the bubble wrap (on the warm side of the insulation) - this acts as a vapour barrier and prevents any condensation within the insulation - it has to be well sealed with aluminium tape.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
love all these personal insulation ideas, certain satisfaction esp if cheap
we used 2x layers of 1/4" polystyrene, that people put on house walls, from a boot sale on our fibre-glas roof - really made a difference both ways. couldn't stick with solvent adhesive so used hard-as-nails from a mastic gun. easy & seems fine.
used old closed cell camping mats in some other places like doors & floor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts