VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there. I'm currently selling my T4 campervan as I'm geting a T5. Don't slash my tyres please !! It's on the forum classified ads for £11499 and I haven't had any sniffs whatsoever. I could be tottally out of touch with prices or is it just not a good time of year to sell. It's been six years since I had my van converted so Maybe I am out of touch with current prices. Am I asking too much ? Your thoughts would be much appreciated. It's on page 2 of the classifieds vans for sale section under the title 'Vw 1.9 td 2001 t4 transporter aztec campervan'. Here is a brief description :-

The description of van is as follows :-

- 133,000 miles.
- 2+2 birth. The van sleeps two adults with space for 2 small children in the upper roof area.
- Full service history.
- Recent cambelt change.
- Propex 2kw gas heating system fitted in last 3 months.
- Brand new 140amp heavy duty leisure battery.
- Towbar and towing electrics.
- Wolfrace alloys.
- Gutter rail on van to fit awning.
- Captains chairs in front of van. Passenger seat swivels.
- Split charge system.
- Powerfull solar panel to charge leisure battery. No need to ever charge battery as the panel will take care of everything.
- 12v socket in rear of van.
- 240v hook up.
- Large 3 way fridge.
- Smev sink and hob unit.
- Table.
- Spare key.
- Gas alarm and fire extinguisher.

Thanks. Gareth

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Do you have any other details because I've seen older models for a lot more dosh than that but I've also seen some with no service history and high miles for a lot less,,,:)

·
Formerly known as boscombesurfer
1,315 Posts
Noticed one of our motorhome sites had a hardtop coachbuilt conversion traded in, looked it up on the system, its a couple of years older than yours but has very low mileage, our list was £14'999. Dont know if that helps but there it is :ILU:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Maybe it's down to the time of year or the economic climate :*

These are only my thoughts and not based on anything but it could be that there are a lot more "blank canvas" panel vans out there for quite a bit cheaper.
It seems increasingly popular for people to convert their own vans and add the complete personal touch from outside mods to inside mods for less than a ready converted van.

I reckon it's purely down to price, but in saying that it just takes the right person to spot your van. Have you tried any other sites to advertise it on?

It looks a nice tidy van but maybe the price is a little high for this time of year.

Wait till the spring and the weather warms up and advertise it as "Surf Bus". Bound to sell T:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe it's down to the time of year or the economic climate :*

These are only my thoughts and not based on anything but it could be that there are a lot more "blank canvas" panel vans out there for quite a bit cheaper.
It seems increasingly popular for people to convert their own vans and add the complete personal touch from outside mods to inside mods for less than a ready converted van.

I reckon it's purely down to price, but in saying that it just takes the right person to spot your van. Have you tried any other sites to advertise it on?

It looks a nice tidy van but maybe the price is a little high for this time of year.

Wait till the spring and the weather warms up and advertise it as "Surf Bus". Bound to sell T:
Thats good advice, especially about the wording. it was on ebay but that was a month ago but the highest offer was 9000 as a best offer. I think I just need to wait until its a bit warmer. But it would be nice to sell it now so that I can source another van for the forthcoming summer. Maybe I will throw in a surf board to the winning bidder !!! That should do it !!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi buddy, just my opinion - I am aiming to be constructive!

I think the price is fair as it is a nice condition, properly converted van with good fittings and history however....

It's a bit... pensioner chic! In that it is not the prettiest van being a huge slab of white with a hi-top. Then you have those nice alloys which somehow don't go....

Let's face it, if you are retired or nearing retirement, that van would be ideal - warm, practical, good mpg and no hassle with a heavy pop-top. But if you are more 'scene' or buying a van for the lifestyle, it may not be T4 enough for those tastes. If it was an older LHD Westy, you would be looking at more money for a similar level of comfort.

Perhaps it might be good to advertise it in a camping and caravanning outlet, on a motorhomes site or somewhere more geared to the more mature audience.

Alternatively, it could be worth asking someone to produce a graphic to break up the shape a little, even investing twenty quid in a brand new set of clear indicator lenses for the front to give it a little more appeal to the younger buyer.

Having said all this, I think it may just be the time of year and the economic gloom - wait for the green shoots of spring and try ebay again, and perhaps take it to the park a lot and put it in a prominent place in the carpark with a nicely made for sale sing in the window and some nice crockery laid out on the table - sell the dream!!!

Good luck and what a nice clean van for the money!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I think the price is fair as it is a nice condition, properly converted van with good fittings and history however....

It's a bit... pensioner chic! In that it is not the prettiest van being a huge slab of white with a hi-top. Then you have those nice alloys which somehow don't go....

Let's face it, if you are retired or nearing retirement, that van would be ideal - warm, practical, good mpg and no hassle with a heavy pop-top. But if you are more 'scene' or buying a van for the lifestyle, it may not be T4 enough for those tastes. If it was an older LHD Westy, you would be looking at more money for a similar level of comfort.

Perhaps it might be good to advertise it in a camping and caravanning outlet, on a motorhomes site or somewhere more geared to the more mature audience.

Alternatively, it could be worth asking someone to produce a graphic to break up the shape a little, even investing twenty quid in a brand new set of clear indicator lenses for the front to give it a little more appeal to the younger buyer.

Having said all this, I think it may just be the time of year and the economic gloom - wait for the green shoots of spring and try ebay again, and perhaps take it to the park a lot and put it in a prominent place in the carpark with a nicely made for sale sing in the window and some nice crockery laid out on the table - sell the dream!!!

Thanks for that. Some fair and justified points made. I've never been into modifying cars or vans but I do accept your opinion. I do compete in motorcycle trials though and my bike is trick as hell. I think a nice decal could do the trick but again it may not be to everybodies taste. Im hoping people will see the van body as a blank canvas and then be able to do what they choose. Will definately put a nice advert on it and park it somewhere prominant.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
But if you are more 'scene' or buying a van for the lifestyle, it may not be T4 enough for those tastes. If it was an older LHD Westy, you would be looking at more money for a similar level of comfort.
I think that kind of sums it up - rightly or wrongly, people are happy to pay silly sums for pretty basic conversions that are slammed on big wheels, rather than on high top purpose built motorhomes......

I'd put it on a motorhome website or two - I think you'll sell it easily enough, as it's a MORE than fair price for the spec of the van!!

Good luck with the sale T:

·
Registered
520 Posts

This sums up nicely what I was thinking as I looked at the van. Know your target market. Advertise this to a member of the camping and caravan club and they'll snap it up. To sell it to someone on here I'd change the indicators, remove the aztec campers stickers, swap the side windows for tinted flush fit ones, add some vinyl to the B pillar and possibly lower it some more.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This sums up nicely what I was thinking as I looked at the van. Know your target market. Advertise this to a member of the camping and caravan club and they'll snap it up. To sell it to someone on here I'd change the indicators, remove the aztec campers stickers, swap the side windows for tinted flush fit ones, add some vinyl to the B pillar and possibly lower it some more.
Hi there. Tottally agree with you about target audience. I think I should be aiming at Saga holiday makers !!! The guys on this site do make me chuckle as you and I are completely chalk and cheese. I am actually seeking a t5 which isn't colour coded, hasnt got 20 inch alloys, isnt lowered and doesn't have go faster stripes. I use my van as a race truck and it simply wouldnt get down some of the farm tracks I go down if it were lowered. Can't see the point in colour coding as unless it's factory paint it just seems to chip. 20 inch alloys look nice but the tyres cost a fortune. I never go above 60mph so the last thing I want it it chipped. But saying that, the advice I've had from this site has been excellent (especially regarding my heater fitting) but we just aspire to different things van wise.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Put it back on ebay in the spring but list it as a classified ad. It costs £15 and runs for 28 days. February is a difficult month for many (Christmas credit card bills etc) and the worst month to sell a vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts