VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend got a text off her brother asking if he could borrow my van for a weekend in June. In return I can use his new Corsa for the weekend, Big deal!

I already have 2 other cars I could use and to be honest I could quite happily not drive anywhere over a weekend.

Every fibre in my body is saying no. Like most of the enthusiasts on here you will understand that the van is more than just a vehicle.

She is saying it would be a nice thing to do as he has offered to pay for her wedding dress for next year. In my mind his offer and my van have nothing in common.

I have two main concerns. Firstly, what about damage and wear and tear. About 2 years ago we lent him our large tent. He packed it away wet and when I got it back a year later it was buggered. All mouldy and stained and they lost one of the inner room dividers. This caused some awkward tension regarding payment for a new one. Although that was sorted out in the end I can’t help but think what it would be like if something happened to my pride and joy.

Driving a lowered T4 full up with camping stuff can be a challenge regarding speed humps, campsite lanes etc…What if something like a tyre blows, a spring breaks or a cam belt snaps. This could happen to anyone but if it happens to him it will mean a head ache for me.

Secondly when will it end? Because I lend it him this time, I think he will think its ok to borrow it again. If say no it will make me out as a bad guy. I’m not bloody rent-a-van!

Am I being a selfish van bore or should I just get over it and let him enjoy a weekend away glamping it up?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Yes LOL:

It's just a van . . . . . .

You can always buy another van , You cant buy a good family I:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
No way i'd lend mine out I:

you can hire campers and teardrops ya know :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some of my family have asked and the answer they get is always no, they soon get over it.
If you let one then the door is open for the rest.
Bit unfair getting pressure from mrs.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If he pays for the wedding dress he can borrow that,would you girlfriend allow that dress to go to a fancy dress party? Every time you lend a pride and joy out it goes bad,youve had 1 item ruined by him in some way this helps you a lot as you have reason to say he does look after things.Trust your gut feeling and stick to your guns on this one if I were you

·
Registered
343 Posts
A friend of mine needed something picking up and called me.. i'd only just brought my van and every bone in my body said no but as she was such a good friend I said yes,they dropped something and it scratched my bumper,its only small but it wasn't there before and everytime I see it grinds on me so i'd say no :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are both 28 years old and her brother is a fair few years older. Their dad wasn't around when growing up so he helped out my Mrs quite a lot when she was younger. That's why i think she feels it would be a nice thing to do.

Im sure he wont wreck the van and knows how much it means to us but its the little things that would worry me. If he curbed the alloys for example i am sure he would give me the cash to sort it, but that would mean driving around with curbed alloys untill i found time to get them done. Honestly i would prefer to curb my own alloys and live with it.

I just dont know. She told me when i was doing breakfast this morning, i pulled a face and grunted and we left it at that. Suppose we will have a talk about it later.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
if you really have no choice but to go through with it, just sit him down and explain that ANY damage, has to be paid for. if he agrees, then you both know where you stand T:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
We are both 28 years old and her brother is a fair few years older. Their dad wasn't around when growing up so he helped out my Mrs quite a lot when she was younger. That's why i think she feels it would be a nice thing to do.

Im sure he wont wreck the van and knows how much it means to us but its the little things that would worry me. If he curbed the alloys for example i am sure he would give me the cash to sort it, but that would mean driving around with curbed alloys untill i found time to get them done. Honestly i would prefer to curb my own alloys and live with it.

I just dont know. She told me when i was doing breakfast this morning, i pulled a face and grunted and we left it at that. Suppose we will have a talk about it later.
You feel compelled to lend it out just to keep your lass happy. If you do it, state to the both of them that any issues WILL. Be rectified before it returns to you at the end of the weekend. At the end of the day, it's metal, oils, rubber and plastic. Yes, it's or van, your pride and joy but it's not a human life. It's a superficial piece of equipment. If he damages it, let him know clearly that you think he's a flaccid piece of male genitailia. Simple. It can always be fixed.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
no way :no

In no part of this world are you being unreasonable. A wedding dress is no way near the same value as you camper. Calling the wedding off is probs the safest option LOL:
I'd disagree mate. Some dresses can be well more than any T4 on here so that statement isn't totally true

·
Registered
78 Posts
A friend of mine needed something picking up and called me.. i'd only just brought my van and every bone in my body said no but as she was such a good friend I said yes,they dropped something and it scratched my bumper,its only small but it wasn't there before and everytime I see it grinds on me so i'd say no :(

Come to think of it iv had similar happen before. When I owned my old bay window everyone thought it would be a good idea to ask me to move their . Even tho it was slammed with a 4" narrow beam and full Westfalia interior. The answer was always No!

One day my mom needed a barrel picking up from one of her pubs and moved to another, I was the last resort, and she is my mom so i couldn't say no. I set off with 2 other blokes to pick up this beer. On the way back this 22 of Carling slid all over the place.The guy in the back could not control it so it scratched my floor and dented a cupboard.

My exhaust scraped the whole journey and so did the tyres and front beam. When i eventually got back the blokes managed to roll the barrel into my wheel denting the hub cap. I could have cryed but they couldnt see the problem.

I know it just a van, but some vans are more equal than others.:)

·
Registered
687 Posts
i would say no, even though you would be doing a nice thing - a van isnt just a veichle it memories too. T:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
:(

I am so surprised that so many peeps are so tight , maybe it's just me and mine that are odd.:*

I have always let my family and friends borrow my cars and vans , and I have always borrowed there's.

I know there are pitfalls in lending stuff but I think you get what you give

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
It's not that I'm tight :confused:

Just don't want the awkwardness of any damage is all. Most people I know would only be insured 3rd party to drive mine with their fully comp policy anyway.

Imagine of you totalled your mates/family members car on third party only and had to pay for it I: I'd be gutted :*

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Ok Ok maybe tight anit quite the right way of putting it , but family is family if insurance is the only issue ask them to get it fully comp'd and then it's fine.

I have noticed that peeps are very passionate about there van's to the point of obsession and I do find that hard to understand.

At the end of the day it's bits of tin and plastic and what can be bent, can be unbent

I have had to many cars to think of some good,some bad, some ugly

And one or two I have spent lots of time and money on but they are still just metal boxs with wheels.

Family and friends have always been more important than any thing else, My family are still here and always will be , cars/ vans come and go ( and rust LOL:)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I lent my van to my sister and brother-in-law against my better judgement. The week after they got back I got a speeding notice from Wales' Police The next time they wanted to borrow it to go to Ireland then suddenly changed their mind to a pan-European 2 thousand mile trip to Denmark and Sweden (eventually they decided not to go after taking on board some searching questions from me)!

I would not lend my van out again - like you say it just would not feel right and I am sure most people will not see it as such a precious thing as you do.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts