Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the following tyres on my van

Front drivers side - 205/55ZR16 94W
Rear drivers side - 205/55 R16 94 V

Front passenger side - 205/55ZR16 91W
Rear passenger side - 205/55ZR16 91W

99% of the time it has no more than 2 adults driving around in it up front. Therefore can I please confirm the tyre pressure should be 43 psi for the fronts and 48 psi for the rears.

At the moment I've been driving around with 36 psi all the way round. How do I know if my tyres are "car" or "commercial?"

Cheers everybody

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just been through the same thing, it's the number and letters on the end I think, tells you if it's van load rated, hope that helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. According to a website I've just looked at the numbers refer to loads in kgs and the letters refer to speed. Not sure I'm ever going to be carrying over 670kgs at 149 mph!
So now could someone please confirm the tyre pressures please.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The load ratings(91. 94) are car based load ratings and refer to vehicle weight. You times the load rating by 4 and that gives you the total vehicle weight loaded by law. As you have 16s it would be easier to put commercially rated tyres on. There should be a data tag on the driver side door shut giving correct tire info including pressure setting. If you run bigger wheels you really want a load rating of 101 or higher but this area is grey to say the least
HTML:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. So what you're saying is my tyres need to be able to carry more weight? Can someone please confirm that I should have 43 psi fronts and 48 psi rears in my current tyres. Thanks

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Thanks guys. So what you're saying is my tyres need to be able to carry more weight? Can someone please confirm that I should have 43 psi fronts and 48 psi rears in my current tyres. Thanks
Your tyres are unsuitable for a van , commercial tyres have a "C" at the end of the size the 91 and 94 at the end of yours is Only suitable for a car like a passat or smaller you would need as stated above a load rating of about 99 as a minimum but ideally 101 /102

As for tyre pressures all tyres are different, check the side wall for max pressure ...

·
Registered
60 Posts
In theory I'd have thought so, although not all MOT stations are made equal...

In fact I'd have thought an MOT station should also be checking the wheels themselves are of a sufficient load rating too.

Be good to get a comment from the latest guidance from an MOT'er.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts