VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all
The panel van is a 2.5tdi 88bhp 2003, fully serviced, no fault codes, on standard steel rims.

After mucking about with the first full tank of derv doing various jobs, some short jobs with nearly 1 ton on board, some high speed (3 figures) runs while logging with Torque for android on a private road and some general everyday driving I managed 612 before the light came on.

This time I tried really hard to stick to my rules which were

1. No speeding i.e. 30mph in a 30mph, 60mph max
2. No revving over 3000rpm.
3. No clogging it, i.e. never 100% throttle.

I think maybe 2 or 3 times I broke rule rule 3, a couple of times rule 2 but only by 500rpm but I didn't break rule 1 much to the dismay of everyone else that wanted to speed!

This time the light didn't come on till 690 miles and I didn't refill it till 730 miles A:
Most of these miles are short miles, say less than 30 miles each run, some only 5 miles but always enough to get the engine to operating temperature.

So much difference, "who would have thunk it" !

46 MPG ! T:;)

Anybody beaten that?

*edit* I forgot to add the van is standard other than the egr blank. still has the cat etc

·
Registered
484 Posts
thats incredible, i also cannot believe you can over a ton out it either. my remapped 130 van only does about 95.

thats great mpg.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I can't get anywhere near that. Back when it was an 'empty' panel van, I averaged 38ish, and could 'just' top 40 on a careful run.

Now its converted, I average 33/34 and maybe high 30s if I'm careful.

A run at over 85 though and its down at 26 or so!

However, also have no problem doing the ton, did it on the Autobahn last summer (as other balljoint runners can confirm) without any difficulty at all despite fully loaded and a roof box on.. didnt want to go any quicker though as the crosswind in the gaps was a little unpleasant at that speed. Mine 'used' to be an 88 but has an intercooler and remap to approx 128, but it does have the higher ratio gearbox, so 80mph comes up at only 3000 rpm. (I only have 16" alloys, and my indicated speed is exactly the same as the satnav speed, rather than the usual slightly higher reading)

Don't forget that if your speedo is over-reading (as it can with some wheels) your odometer will also be clocking over faster, and therefore indicating a higher mpg than you are really getting. Small detail for sure, but worth bearing in mind.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I've had high 40's before on a good run, but now it's been remapped........I: Trouble is, it does well over the 3 figure mark and I can't help myself. LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to see if I could beat that mileage with this tank but if I can find the opportunity then I'll take a picture of the dash and gps at said speed, I didn't really want to wind it up to that pace again but if it takes a picture then so be it.

Nearly 100 miles more though.. I thought that was amazing, you get further for your money and the engine thanks you for it.
I look forward to some long runs (after I have a more suitable drivers seat) maybe to mainland Europe camping to see if I can beat 46mpg.

Its been much more relaxing doing the mellow cruising, not being in a rush.. Just have to allow for this style of driving when it comes to timing routes. At first it was a conscious thing to take your foot of at 3000rpm but within a week it was natural to just drive like that.

I need cruise...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Travelled from Somerset to Suffolk for Bank Holiday weekend in 1.9Td - 35mph slower than you tho and 5+hrs yawn yawn!! - did 630 mile on the round trip and used 3/4 of tank, depending on tank size? think that was pretty good too.T:
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right ok, the picture is up in a private gallery so if a helpful mod would go take a lookey and post confirmation here.

Not one for BS me T:

Now i'm going to have to refill again to try and beat my score!
This time it was with a full tank, 4 steel rims + tyres and 5 large bags of coal onboard..

I think if I manage to do the next tank without 1000lb loads i can beat my score..

MPG can only go up with a decat pipe right?

:cool:

·
Registered
986 Posts
I get between 580 and 650 to a tank on my tuned 1.9td which is converted. Always been happy with that tbh.
What have you done to tune your 1.9TD? I often get 600ish out of mine, havn't done the egr mod yet, does this make much difference to the mpg?

T:

·
Registered
377 Posts
What have you done to tune your 1.9TD? I often get 600ish out of mine, havn't done the egr mod yet, does this make much difference to the mpg?

T:
De-cat, EGR Blank, turned the turbo arm up a wee bit - there is a running guide on here.

In the back I have freebird side units, Waco, Smev & R&R etc and still goes up hills lovely.

I think the main thing is good service routine as well. I'm changing my oil around every 5k to keep it running smooth.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I Don't have a t4 anymore but ran 3 x 2.5 tdi ajt engine t4s in the past and one abl 1.9td, the 2.5tdi I could get 40+ mpg out all 3 but the 1.9td no chance... T:
I worked out i was getting 36/38 being very gentle with mine! I have a decat and only carry bongo seats and rails in the back for now.
She does struggle on the big hills without a good run up T:

·
Registered
986 Posts
De-cat, EGR Blank, turned the turbo arm up a wee bit - there is a running guide on here.

In the back I have freebird side units, Waco, Smev & R&R etc and still goes up hills lovely.

I think the main thing is good service routine as well. I'm changing my oil around every 5k to keep it running smooth.
Cheers mate, may have to dig that out and take a look. De-cat has been down so not more to do to match yours then T:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can't get anywhere near that. Back when it was an 'empty' panel van, I averaged 38ish, and could 'just' top 40 on a careful run.

Now its converted, I average 33/34 and maybe high 30s if I'm careful.

A run at over 85 though and its down at 26 or so!

However, also have no problem doing the ton, did it on the Autobahn last summer (as other balljoint runners can confirm) without any difficulty at all despite fully loaded and a roof box on.. didnt want to go any quicker though as the crosswind in the gaps was a little unpleasant at that speed. Mine 'used' to be an 88 but has an intercooler and remap to approx 128, but it does have the higher ratio gearbox, so 80mph comes up at only 3000 rpm. (I only have 16" alloys, and my indicated speed is exactly the same as the satnav speed, rather than the usual slightly higher reading)

Don't forget that if your speedo is over-reading (as it can with some wheels) your odometer will also be clocking over faster, and therefore indicating a higher mpg than you are really getting. Small detail for sure, but worth bearing in mind.
This 'higher ratio gearbox' - it it the 5th gear mod or a different box?

Mine was an 88bhp to, but has been re-mapped and modded to nearer 140, but topped-out at 100mph last week - any suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This 'higher ratio gearbox' - it it the 5th gear mod or a different box?

Mine was an 88bhp to, but has been re-mapped and modded to nearer 140, but topped-out at 100mph last week - any suggestions anyone?
I'd have thought it should woosh past 100mph with 140bhp, I have a few revs left, mine is at just over 3800rpm.

Can a mod please confirm the picture so I can delete it please, even though it was on a private road I cannot be bothered with the hassle.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Do people REALLY drive like that just to save a couple of quid?

I personally don't know how you have the time to fanny about on journies, and people that do are a menace on the roads.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts