VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all has anyone tried this stuff from fleabay = getting puff of smoke on start up all the time also on tick over after few minutes tried redex gold box -waste of time , 90,000 on 2-5 tdi or any recomendations for other products cheers all

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
don't waste your money mate, no matter what anyonw will tell you or what that stuff says on the bottle its a waste of time.

unfortunately, there are no miracle cures!

·
Registered
779 Posts
most 2.5 motors smke on start up buddy, my Ex aa van is a knightmare, if you start the motor and drive straight away it gives a tiny plume of smoke, but if its started then left to tick over for a while, you cant see behind you when you go off down the road, its vey very common, apperantly its something to do with oil seeping past some seal in the turbo's.
i know loads of people who have the same thing happen!
Dont worry about it, and save your hard earnedT:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I used it when I first got mine. Double oil change and then added Ametech.

Has it made a massive difference?? No idea in all honesty, but I've NEVER had any issues with smoke, even when I upped the fuel and boost (ABL).

What sold it for me was that I'd doubt Quentin Wilson would add his name to any old **** - it's not like he's some B list celeb who needs the cash, is it.......

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I used it when I first got mine. Double oil change and then added Ametech.

Has it made a massive difference?? No idea in all honesty, but I've NEVER had any issues with smoke, even when I upped the fuel and boost (ABL).

What sold it for me was that I'd doubt Quentin Wilson would add his name to any old **** - it's not like he's some B list celeb who needs the cash, is it.......
but isnt he just a journ/presenter? might be wrong so-kal, would you eat a flake just because anthea turner didRasp:

cash is cash at the end of the day!

There have been loadsa arguments about after market products but dont think therehas been much if any conclusive evidence.

I remember a well known oil additive stating that with their product alone in an engine and no oil, they took the sump off and ran the engine for a good few mins without it seizing what they failed to mention was the type of engine it was and someone after them drained the oil from the same make of engine and it ran with the sump off for the same period of time!

If these products were any good wouldnt the likes of shell and bp be producing them??

not having a pop mate - your one of the good ones on hereT:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well sorry but I think these type of additives are brilliant Rasp:
A few years ago I had an old bay window van when the engine seized on a short hop up the motorway. I was recovered to my local VW garage who did all the work on my van. After letting the van cool down for a few hours she stated again but upon examination I was told that the engine would seize again if driven too far - about 20 miles. Bascially the van needed an engine rebuild. :( My mechanic said that I should try 'Wynns' oil additive treatment which is a type of Molyslip as it would'nt make it any worse and it was worth a try. T:
Well we added the Wynns and I drove the bus home 20 miles no problem. I then did'nt use her for a few weeks after that I decided to sell her. Believe me, as its true, the new owner drove her straight back to Liverpool without any problem whatsoever. I spoke to him a month later and the old bus was still going well. A: So I am a believer! :D
Pete

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
but isnt he just a journ/presenter? might be wrong so-kal, would you eat a flake just because anthea turner didRasp:

cash is cash at the end of the day!

There have been loadsa arguments about after market products but dont think therehas been much if any conclusive evidence.

I remember a well known oil additive stating that with their product alone in an engine and no oil, they took the sump off and ran the engine for a good few mins without it seizing what they failed to mention was the type of engine it was and someone after them drained the oil from the same make of engine and it ran with the sump off for the same period of time!

If these products were any good wouldnt the likes of shell and bp be producing them??

not having a pop mate - your one of the good ones on hereT:
No worries mate.

I'm the biggest cynic going, but I gave this a go based on a few things, including QW's review and the E Bay feedback. All I can say for sure is that my MOT smoke tests are not even close to the legal limit, whereas I know of others who've PP'd their 1.9s but have had to back the fuel off for the MOT.

It's not a scientific endorsement, but I tend to like to see for myself and then be honest about my findings. As I said earlier - I have no proof of any gains other than that......

:)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eh guys sorry if i opend a can of worms LOL: = interesting replies - decided to bight the bullet & try some for myself. good news is i,ll post my findings = fingers crossed I:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts