VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Thinking about it it calnt advance the timing ?? I imagine it injects less diesel at the big squeeze making the mixture lean and be a hotter explosion?

Advances timing.

In the Uk , on a well serviced van with good plugs and pump/cam timing bob on, you shouldn't have to touch cold start.

If I have ever bought an IDI and needed to use the cold start then the rocker cover is off and dti is out in days:D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm assuming the lever I have to knock down is a little bit seized, hence it doesn't go down when I push the lever back in. About a hundred gallons of wd40 have been sprayed on it but I've still got to knock it down with a long screw driver before setting off anywhere
Alternatively, might be the cable that is seized!?!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use mine on my '96 1.9d only from cold start up tho. About 10 secs then it's back in and away we go. If I don't use it the engine still starts immediately but it sounds like it's had its oil replaced with a 240 piece set of sockets and it's quite scary. I can rev thro it and it gets ok but I'd rather use the lever.

I would like to know exactly what is doing tho as on occasion I have forgotten to push it back in and only realised when pulling up at work and the tick over is high. Am I doing the engine any harm? Or just using more fuel? ..... :*

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use the lever on my old 2.4 in colder months, don't have to and will start fine without it but it runs a little smoother with the lever out for a few seconds.
I've read the owners manual and it says not to use it in sub zero temps?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Could Still do with an VW Engine Guru to explain in terms we can all understand any or all of the following:

1. Why they were put on, the history etc what engines they were on and what year they started/ finished ?

2. What they doo when on and when off ?

3. Do they need setting up/ servicing etc ?

4. Why did they stop using them ?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Had a quick browse regarding your questions, and as far as I make of it....

1. (quote) it actuates a ring in the pump that alters the pump timing. So in colder temps it will, I presume, give a slightly faster burn rate. It would only effect the smoothness of the engine until it has warmed up, avoids a rough ride for a few minutes.

The reason for fitting is simply the design of the engine. The non tdi models (diesel only, 1.9, 1.9 TD and 2.4 D) as most older vehicles had such mechanical choke methods just to help rough starts. As far as I know all of these T4 models have them, and the only one of the diesels that dont are the 2.5 tdi. T5`s obviously don`t have them. The only reason for not using them any more is tdi technology and ecu`s that do all of it for you.

Many factors will effect how these type of engines run from cold.... mileage, where it is kept over night, condition of engine etc. Having said that choke is simply a thing of the past and was the answer to any cold start issues.

As to servicing, can`t answer that one. Best bet would be to make sure it works and if not get a mechanic to look into why.

It is part of the engine, I have one and it does as it says on the tin and just makes it that bit smoooother than without.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thank's Van Guru

That has explained everything, that's the great thing about this Forum. Every day I learn something new!
Trouble is I keep thinking of another question to ask. Sorry!?

·
Registered
158 Posts
my 2.4 caravelles got one too, but previous owner was told by garage he bought it off that it had been converted to electronic choke
The lever is pulled out, I have never tried pushing it in either.
Van starts perfectly and idles normally even in mega cold weather!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not too often in 'the van' to be honest, go through there a lot for work though, but if you do see a blue T plate with black side bars and and drl's 'flying' through give us a wave T:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hello Everyone. On my old 2.4d, that 265.000 miles on the clock, I did not use the choke much at all. But on my newer camper, a 1.9td with 165.000 miles on the clock, I have to use the choke almost every cold start. If I do not use the choke the engine is very lumpy and there is huge plumes of grey smoke. I could always use it for as a mobile smoke screen for the army. I:

John.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I got a 19TD 2001 and that thingie thing i got to use in the winter when it is very cold otherwise she is a bitch to start, and yes i have changed the glow plugs also i have to turn the ignition on and wait for the click on the relay, do that 3 times and she starts ok thats only in very cold weather, one of my mates told me to do that and it works NP, i Think she gets a bit grumpy in the winter LOL:D

21 - 36 of 36 Posts