VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a while now I've been wanting to mount a tablet in the dash. unfortunately the tablet i had was old and laggy so I didn't want to waste my time on something that doesn't even do what i want it to.

I recently purchased the Google Nexus 7 3G and WiFi so my plan started all over again.

As i have the large multivan console and never actually got round to fitting anything in it, this was an obvious place to start.

I don't have a picture of the panel before i started but lets just say it was 2 single din slots with a flat edge.

I started by removing the centre part that divides up the two separate slots.

I have decided to use Plastic bumper repair putty mostly because i hate fibreglass but also as I've never used the stuff and wanted to try it

I applied this stuff to the edge to create a more frame like look. the stuff looks very messy to start with as you build it up but i found that i could start to shape it with a stanley blade before it fully dried, making the sanding work a lot easier

The next step was the scariest. I want the tablet to be removable so to create a snug pocket on the rear of the panel for the tablet to slide in and out of, I needed to use the tablet itself as a mould.....

So with the tablet wrapped in cling film I started to cover it in putty

once the first layer had dried I removed the tablet and cut off the top of it to create a pocket. I then used more putty to bond the mould to the panel and continued to build up the layers.

once dried, the tablet slides in to place nicely

After the first sanding and shaping a gave it a quick coat of paint to help with sanding it nice and flat.

first trial fit

I've since done a bit more sanding and given it a coat of black bumper paint. Apart from the sanding marks and some lows in the putty that need filling, the finish looks just like the black plastic of the dash so I'm really chuffed.

The tablet slides in from the top and is a really snug fit

The back is still very messy but i will eventually build it up and sand it back to a nice smooth finish

The problem is, I've been using it in the van for a few days now to trial it. I'm finding, as i thought i might, that it's too low down to safely use for changing track or entering post codes etc.

This has actually given me the push to do what I really wanted to have a go at in the first place. A full revamp of the early T4 dash. Its going to involve, moving the heater controls (if possible), mounting the tablet up in the main centre console, smoothing off the many different lumps and bumps of the early dash and possibly creating a place in the dash for a CB.

I've almost got things measured up and planned out, i just need to see how much freedom I've got on the heater cables and I'll be making a start. Seems a shame to butcher what was turning into a decent mount but i know i won't be happy if i leave it down there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I moved the heater controls on my early dash and added in some from a later VW polo, its a bit of a pain to do, but its doable.

I used the original rods/wire and re crimped them to suit the new controls, there's a bit about it in my build thread.

Ideally I'd like to do mine again, as they're a bit stiff to move, but that can wait!

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for the comments T:

I'll have a nosey at the polo controls, cheers gaz.

It's just plugged into a 12v *** lighter usb charger at the minute but I want a more stable supply.

It connects to my head units Bluetooth but that may change as I'm running a HU-less setup in my Santana so I know how to do away with the HU if I go down that route. It will result in a better sound quality and less demand on the charging side of things with Bluetooth disabled

·
Registered
99 Posts
Cheers for the comments T:

It connects to my head units Bluetooth but that may change as I'm running a HU-less setup in my Santana so I know how to do away with the HU if I go down that route. It will result in a better sound quality and less demand on the charging side of things with Bluetooth disabled
That looks very slick, I was driving home and thinking about how to get my phone / something a bit bigger into the dash, very inspiring!

How do you set up a system without a head unit? I'd prefer to put my money into a nexus 7 with 3g / wifi that can be taken out and played with (not angry birds though!), than a head unit that could very well get nicked, in the middle of the night!

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the Santana I'm running a graphic EQ pre amp. It's has phono input so you can run an aux/phono lead from phone/tablet etc. The EQ has front, rear and sub outputs as well as a remote trigger wire to turn the amp on. There's no reason you can't run multiple amps with this just has you would your HU.
The wiring is pretty much same as wiring up a HU but is smaller and can be tucked away if you want. I run an under dash mounted volume control inline on the input so I don't actually need to access the EQ. I don't know if this would mess up the audio quality on big installs but it makes no difference in the Santana

·
Registered
44 Posts
Loving this Idea .... Ive been offering up my google Nexus to my dash and looking where it could fit!! I have some ideas but I'd be interested to see how you fit it in!! I was originally looking to do a similar setup to yourself but thought i'd have the same issues regarding it being to low! good luck on the dash hack!T:

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was just reading about them and wondered if any good is all T:
The EQ I'm using is a Lanzar I think. Never heard of it but sounds fine in the Santana. Its a better set up in the van so once I've trialed it with bigger audio I'll let you know how it is T:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ive been considering this for a while BUT I'm concerned about it constantly being charged 'unless' there is a charging kill switch. Also I would need a bluetooth amplifier that can take speaker outputs. I know I can link it up to a bluetooth stereo but I'd rather just have the one device on the dashboard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.