VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at removing the OEM head unit and 6 CD changer from the centre console from my T5. In its place I'm going to install a 10" tablet, the problem I have is that I need to make or find a blanking plate of some kind for the hole that will be left. Any ideas???

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I woould consider making it in two sections
One with fastenings and one much nicer surround in say stainless steel
to fit over the top
Laser cut is the way too guess

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
There was someone on here who was doing ipad in dash installations. They may have made surrounds/cradles already, not sure if they sell them seperately though, you could always ask? Do a search on the forums for ipad dash mount and you should come accros a post/thread. :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
What are you going to do about amplification though? Would you still not need a headunit of some sort to interface with your speakers or amplifiers?

Ive just bought a 10 inch tablet and intend to use it in the back of the van when camping instead of a flip down screen hooked up to my headunit.

I saw someone driving with an Ipad in a dash mount windscreen sucker job mounted in the middle of the windscreen like most of the tom tom crew do to restrict their vision! I actully laughed out loud at his £500 tablet in his £1000 clapped out focus!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
You would have to use an amp that's fed from the 3.5mm headphone socket on the tablet or as with an iPad you can get audio and video output dock connector with phono ends that will feed amp and send video to another screen

·
Registered
89 Posts
What are you going to do about amplification though? Would you still not need a headunit of some sort to interface with your speakers or amplifiers?

Ive just bought a 10 inch tablet and intend to use it in the back of the van when camping instead of a flip down screen hooked up to my headunit.

I saw someone driving with an Ipad in a dash mount windscreen sucker job mounted in the middle of the windscreen like most of the tom tom crew do to restrict their vision! I actully laughed out loud at his £500 tablet in his £1000 clapped out focus!
It was probably a wifi only version, he was just watching cartoons to make the journey go a little faster

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be mounting a small 4 channel amp behind the tablet along with a 500Gb hardrive into the space where the old head unit and changer went

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If you haven't already then get yourself across to the Digital Car UK forum site, as there is a load of information about all things "Van-Puter" related including a section all about Android tablets, as well as fabrication, amplification etc. T:

http://www.digital-car.co.uk/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts