VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Standard T4 interior when carrying 2 people in the front with me (or more specifically the baby seat and the missus) going into 2nd gear is a nightmare. It sits right against the seat, and the leg of whoever is riding in the passenger seat next to me :confused:

The only bad thing I can say about my T4, anyone else find this a complete nuisance and does anyone have a remedy other than force my missus to sit on the roof of the van? :)

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Yeah, bit of a pain but manage to live with it, think there is info on here regarding the problem if you look it up....T:

·
Registered
354 Posts
two things-the short shift mod (I've not done this, but many have, so they can tell you if it cures it) springs to mind. I have 2 single seats so not got this issue.

And one of toads wee gear stick extensions changes your entire driving experience. Even the mrs might drive it then. Repeatedly said on here it's the best mod for yer buck there is.

<thinks> you could turn the stick around 180 degrees, but once you've got into that you might as well do the extension.

HTH

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
two things-the short shift mod (I've not done this, but many have, so they can tell you if it cures it) springs to mind. I have 2 single seats so not got this issue.

And one of toads wee gear stick extensions changes your entire driving experience. Even the mrs might drive it then. Repeatedly said on here it's the best mod for yer buck there is.

<thinks> you could turn the stick around 180 degrees, but once you've got into that you might as well do the extension.

HTH
Cheers Editor, one gearstick extension ordered!!!

Exciting times eh lol A:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cheers Editor, one gearstick extension ordered!!!

Exciting times eh lol A:
it won't change the throw-that's the short shift mod. Mind you toad really knows about all this-you told him about your specific issue yes?

Mate-at severe of risk of raising your expectations but your left shoulder is going to love you after you fit it!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Remove the stick and bend it in a vice - sorted mine.

I also did the S Shift mod and the 3" ext'n and all 3 have transformed the gear change.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi i made my own long stick extension [to about stereo height] with a nice dog leg in it to bring it closer to the driver then the short shift mod .and as said makes driving so much easier. make sure you do the short shift mod as well as fitting your extension cos its one of the best and its quite easyto do.. T:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would recomend the short shift, it really does only take maybe 20-30 mins tops IF you have a 14mm drill bit to hand, as thats the size needed, also personaly I would go with a 25mm shift not 35mm. but if you read the tread people talk about it in there.

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48108

as far as a temp thing goes, take off the gaitor over the gear stick, you will find it bolted on on the bottom, undo this, rotate refasten.

no more hitting of seats

mine had a pin in that I needed to take out first before I could rotate it, I took this out with some pliers.

btw mine is a 2000 reg

B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts