VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to lover the van last sunday. So on friday night I wd'd the torsion bar nuts and threads and the bottom damper nuts, did them again when I fitted my new wheels on Sat in between the rain.
Ready to go on sunday afternoon, cleaned all the threads on the torsion bars, more wd and they came down 50mm ish a treat. Rear offside, jacked up, axle stand under, bottom shocker nut undone. Lovely, sping and topplate thingy out, new ones in:D. Last one to do, jacked up and ready to go only to find the bottom damper nut had previously been rounded off:mad::mad:
I ended up putting the old spring back on the other side as I hadn't really got the time to mess about trying to get it off.
Attacking it again this weekend once I get the van back from having nice new windows fitted at Tidy T's J:J:
Hopefully post some pics up with it all done on sunday. I've really got the bug now !!!
Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
367 Posts
thats a bit of a bummer mate. try un-doing the top bolt instead of the bottom one that is rounded off.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the plan Denni, but as it was starting to rain again I just threw the old spring back on the other side. Looks ok actually, bit of a hot rod look.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thats the plan Denni, but as it was starting to rain again I just threw the old spring back on the other side. Looks ok actually, bit of a hot rod look.
ahh i see. was just double checking you knew that you could take it off from the top. hope it all goes well when u try it again lol. T:T:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Tried mine today got the springs changed fine torsion bar nuts moved a couple of turns then solid going to make a tool for them tomoz with a cut down 27m socket and bit of bar wish me luck or garage it is for the van

·
Registered
281 Posts
Spray the threads with loads of gt85 or similar and get a wire brush on them, should make it nice and easy then T:

Good luck

·
Registered
462 Posts
Spray the threads with loads of gt85 or similar and get a wire brush on them, should make it nice and easy then T:

...and try winding them up a couple of turns then repeating the aboveT:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regarding the torsion bars. Mine were tough to get going, so I used a 29mm ring spanner over the end of the open ended part of the 27mm (if you fiddle about a bit you'll see how it works) to act as a lever and double the leverage and it was easy.

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
If you want to borrow a 27 socket and bar, give me a shout:ILU:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Anyone ever sheared them made a 27mm extra deep socket today with a bit of welding going to attempt them again tomorrow with that and a torque wrench or breaker bar and graunch bar hopefully all goes wellI:I:I:I:I:

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Anyone ever sheared them made a 27mm extra deep socket today with a bit of welding going to attempt them again tomorrow with that and a torque wrench or breaker bar and graunch bar hopefully all goes wellI:I:I:I:I:
I have a specialy made deep socket that is deep enough to reach the nuts even at standard height....Rasp:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts